Just picked up an international s1900 last week. Relatively clean truck with mainly cosmetic issues but I do have one mechanical issue. The truck has a DT466 with the 5+2 driveline. While bringing it home I noticed that it wont drop into the low side of the axle. Truck drives great in the high side and has good power but I know I'm going to need the full range when its loaded. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
First things first. Check the fuse panel. You haven't said how old this truck is, if it's early 80's it's going to have glass fuses. If the fuse isn't the problem, you're going to have to get serious. Voltage check at the selector button, voltage checks at the shift actuator on the rear axle. I know some basics, by the time I started working on trucks my dad had all Roadrangers so I never got proficient on diagnosing two-speeds. I do know that they can be a terrible PITA. Everything might check out, but it still won't shift. I remember my dad having the one on his first new truck, a 1980 1800, apart at least once a year after it started giving trouble.
The truck is a 1985 international single axle dump. I'll check out the fuses and the voltage next week when I have time to work on it. Thanks!
Wow, I guess it's been quite some time since I've logged on here! It was a good season all in all but I didn't get to use the truck anywhere near as much as I would have liked to. Hopefully it will see some work during snow season this winter. Its also going into the garage for inspection here pretty quick and I have another question. I need to get a hitch put on it and I'm wondering just how much weight I can legally pull with this truck? There are times where I need a bigger piece of equipment and need to rent. While I dont mind paying delivery on a rental there's times where I could that machine on multiple jobs. Ideally, I'd like to know if I can pull a cat 312 sized excavator around on a 20 ton tag. I could ask one of our "wonderful" dot guys but that would just gove them cause to keep eyes out for us and the less I have to deal with them the better in my opinion
well, a 20 ton tag is nice but as soon as its coupled up, it will almost certainly become a class A combination. Do you have the air brakes and tractor protection valve for the trailer setup? Might be a little much for a single axle, check your axle weights and expect 4 - 5 ton on the hitch. Did you get your splitter working? the DT466 will be a little doggy but it'll do it.
Yes I do have a class A and I am sending the truck in to get the towing package put on next month
I used to maintain a fleet of S1600, S1800 and S1900 school buses back in the late 70's and early 80's. Bullet proof, but plenty of clutches, engines pushing oil, broken springs and endless brake jobs. Endless. Howard