Hey Guys, just wondering how long is too long? Deal is I just bought a new peterbilt 389 with a 272" wheelbase. I am putting a stellar 174-20-65 hooklift on it. I am putting quick disconnects on the hydraulics so that I can lift off the hook lift and put on the fifth wheel when needed. Just wondering how usefull it will be at that wheelbase. The truck has heavy haul specs. 20k front 46k rears 600 isx 18spd. Because of its Lenght will it be usefull for heavy haul or should I skip the Lowbed ramps. I want the truck to be as usefull as possible and not be limited. Thanks
In California it would be useless for trying to get weight onto the front axle. also over the max over all length to be legal on all CA highways.
that's what I was thinking, the good ol country of California. They force us into buying new trucks and then limit what you can do with it. seems like most lowbed trucks here are about 200" wheelbase. the ones you see in other states are way longer. Just trying to maximize the new trucks potential. thanks
This is a little off topic, did you buy the truck new with a 600isx? It just seems a little bit excessive for a hooklift truck.
I'm not saying it cant be done but yes most are 190"-215" mine was 195" and with the pin in the forward hole and the plate slid fairly far forward i could dump 21K onto the front axle no problem.
If some is good,more is better, and too much is about right. plus I also pull a roll off trailer hauling mostly scrap iron. Mainly I just wanted it.
I know it's not ideal, Evan as far as maneuverability goes but do you think it worth it to put Lowbed ramps on it? It would be nice to be able to move my hitachi 200 with it sometimes. Thanks
for your 200 it would work no problem. you would be over the max legal length for most CA roads but i say you would go un noticed 99% of the time
As Dualie says, it will be fine 99% of the time. It is that stray 1% that creeps up and bites you. You just have to determine how much risk you are willing to take. Also remember, after the first time getting measured up, there will be a target on you, at least from the local law. You might run 10 years or 10 days before finding out.