It was raining at my property so I decided to exercise all of my seldom used power equipment. The loader hasn't been started since May and this is the first time I have started it in cool weather (50 degrees). The batteries had a good charge and spun the motor well. The glowplug chart said to heat the plugs for 1 minute if between 32 and 60 degrees. I heated them for 30 seconds and they were drawing about 30 amps. I saw exhaust smoke almost immediately but it just wouldn't catch. By the time I wore to batteries down there was a lot of exhaust smoke puffing out. I charged the batteries briefly and tried again heating the plugs for 1 minute this time. It still didn't want to start so I heated the plugs for 2 minutes which is the 0 to 32 degree length according to the chart. The engine finally lit with quite a bit of smoke until it cleared out. Is it normal that I should have to use the glowplugs at 50 degrees? Can diesels get loaded up with too much fuel like a gas engine? Are the glow plugs wired series or parallel? In other words, if one goes bad none of them will work (series). (Parallel) one or more could fail but the others will still work. If wired parallel I was seeing 30 amps discharge so I know at least one or more was working.
They're parallel and easy to check with an ohm meter one at a time. I don't remember the spec but 30 amps is in the ball park. Can let you know tomorrow as I'm starting our 955L after sitting for probably six months. I charged the batteries yesterday but it got too late and I didn't want to start it for just a few minutes. I actually have a job for it so it needs to go. You need to go by the chart as it does need the glow plugs even at 50. It will start very well if it gets enough glow plug time. All perfectly normal. I've started ours at 0 deg. and colder when I absolutely had to. Obviously the batteries have to be in good shape. With battery voltage down the glow plugs do not get as hot as they should. It really worried me running the glow plugs for 5 min. when it was 0 deg. but it started OK first try. don't be tempted to use ether at the same time as the glow plugs as I'm told it's not good.
Thanks K150. I was a bit worried because my other 2 diesels start so easily even when it's much colder. My Deere backhoe has no glowplugs and the ether system was removed before I bought the machine. It started last winter with no help at 15 degrees with an almost dead battery. My ag tractor is running before you can get your hand off the key.
No prob. The newer direct injection engines just start so much better. The first direct injection Allis crawler we had did not have glow plugs but would start in the winter with just a puff of either. It was 24 volts which also made a big difference. The one bad thing about the L is the batteries are just so darned hard to get to.
Yeah, I also saw that something had made a nest on top of the batteries as they were covered with leaves, sticks, and acorns. I leave the seat hinged foward and I'm thinking I should also leave the metal battery cover off during storage so it's not quite so cozy in there. When I get power to my property I'm going to install battery maintainers on my equipment. I want to install some sort of high amperage sockets and wiring on the back of my 955 to easily hook the trickle charger up and I can also use them for a jump if nessessary.
The 3304 should only draw 20 amps on the heat side, this is 5amps per plug= 20 amps,anything over this would require looking into, if the heater plugs are not working correctly its good to see plenty of smoke pumping out of the stack, at least you know its trying to start and just needs the adition of something glowing.
Well, she had plenty of smoke, that's for sure. I will check the ammeter more closely to see exactly where it was reading. It could have been 20 but I wasn't paying close attention. Hey, quick question TC. All of my other gauges work except the torque converter temperature which always sits at 12 o'clock even with the master switch off. Would that be a mechanical issue with the gauge (locked up) or could it be a sender problem?
Its a gauge only problem... you'll need to replace it.
Thanks grandpa! BTW, it's starting to get cold down here.....I think it touched 46 last night.....had to turn the heat on.
Ha Ha..... i'm saving up a bunch of cold to freeze willie boy out.....no offense to you...lol.
Oh....I get it. Suck up the cold from the middle states for an even stronger artic blast to the south. I can live with that
Bite me you old jack legged pot bellied stove. :avid
what the ....? Old coot must scan every thread.
I am Yoda.
Gee Granpa, you don't know how to work the "new posts" button?
Notice Mitch, I posted "after" OldandWorn did, not after gramps did. I can feel that old buzzard lurking around out there.
OldandWorn, I've seen solar powered battery maintainers at Northern Tools web site and other sites as well. I'm thinking of getting one for a shed that isn't wired for power so I can keep the battery charged on a vehicle stored in there. It sounds like you might have some plugs that aren't heating, all the 955 loaders I've been on would fire up with no problem, even in cold weather.
I have been considering solar for a while but never followed through with it. I hope I don't have low compression on my 955. I know the plugs are drawing at least 20 amps, possibly more. I will check them with an ohmmeter if I continue to have problems.
The most probable cause for an amp meter reading higher than 20 is the heater rail, that is the wire bit hooking up the plugs, all the plugs can draw is 5 amps each, if they are faulty they usualy draw nothing, the best way and the safest way of testing them is with a battery charger once they have been removed from the head, you will see them work as they should or stay cold, this is my thoughts only, your ohms test might be the way to go, just dont use batteries as things happen fast, resulting in problems, best of luck.
Okay there Willie and ATCO. Gramps reinbforcements have ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am here to help. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I ain't skeered.
I did start ours yesterday at 44 deg. The glow plugs showed 2 marks on the amp gauge which should be 20 amps if the gauge is that accurate. I timed it at 1 minute and started right up after 3 or 4 seconds cranking. Our engine has a lot of hours and smokes some but still does well.
Thank you again. I will take a closer look at my ammeter this weekend and heat for 1 minute this time. My hour meter reads about 7500 hours but not knowing the history of the machine one can only guess.
I own a 955L too,,,, dug it out of the weeds this spring and put her to work with a rake on the front.... only problem was a bearing locked up in the alternator.... got one at local parts store... she went out in april is still out..... Dang good machine. http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/parkrapids/0609111627a.jpg
Nice looking machine grandpa.....that would pull up a root or 2.
I started kitty again this weekend and the glow plugs draw exactly 20 amps. Preheated for 1 minute and it started up easily although it wasn't a good test because the temps were close to 80*. I should have tried without the heaters first. Thanks for everyones help!
Jeez grandpa, looks like you've got a heck of an exhaust leak. Tee hee hee chuckle. I think you've got a nice looking Cat, always liked the 955.