Is a pressure washer the right tool to clean a backhoe? Or will that force water into places where it should not be going? How do people keep these clean? Thanks
Just a good crew and some soapy water will get the job done, Emmett518. Don’t overthink it.
Oh. Like the Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet Album cover? Do the bikini clad babes come with the backhoe, or are they an optional piece of equipment?
Lol! Seriously, just stay away from the radiator so you don’t bend the fins, electrical connections and the pins, and you will be fine with the pressure washer. Soon as you hit a greasy pin with the pressure washer, you will be chasing the grease everywhere.
And don’t wash a hot injection pump.
If they do im in the market for a new hoe.
As long as you don't put the tip close to wiring, hoses, seals, ECM etc you'll be fine. Getting water on them won't hurt them. If you're going to clean out the rad/coolers, hit them straight on and a foot or 2 back so the spray won't bend the fins.
I took an electric washer ( 1800 psi ) to the front end of mine..... ended up knocking off some scale that was the only thing between my fuel in the tank and me. As I continued I started to smell fuel and then a mad scramble ensued. Got the tank unhooked and drained. Upon removal I noticed the 'holes to be' all over the tank bottom ( as she sits in the cradle). Paid a guy to clean and patch the holes..... then lined the inside of the tank. Then she was clean AND leak free. I still clean with that small washer..... I just stay away from the fuel tank!
I think I'll stick to a normal hose, and a bucket of soapy water.
Im enjoying the pic while its still there.
I've used one of the "sidewalk tunnel kits" for years for all kinds of cleaning. These consist of a nozzle and hose adapter that you attach to a section of 1" PVC pipe and cost less than ten bucks. They're intended for burrowing under a sidewalk or driveway for conduit, etc. They put out a good balance of pressure and flow that cleans almost as good as a pressure washer but a lot faster. I have good water pressure and 2" supply lines at my place so mine will really bust the grease loose. I always start out with it and then hit the bits it won't take off with the pressure washer. For cleaning old grease off the backhoe, I don't even need the pressure washer and it's a lot faster.
Hot water pressure wash if it hurts anything ill fix it it got to be clean in clean I mean spotless generally takes about 10 washings from when we buy a junker til its fix in to tip top shape
Good post. There is the safety aspect, as well. Layers of grease, duff and debris can be a fire hazard. Belly guards filled with hydraulic oil from the last busted hose. Especially, forestry machines. A fire waiting to happen.
I'll let you know if I ever clean mine. If I do it will get a liberal dose of degreaser and then the pressure washer.
Any suggestions for an industrial soap that will clean grease and mildew?
Zep purple comes in gallons and 5 gallons be careful using it on aluminum and paint
It’s for my backhoe, which is painted.
You can use it just not full strengh tho if you find something paint safer id like to know myself
I use Simple Green Concentrate in a 3 gallon sprayer and just use half strength and pre-spray entire machine, quite heavily. I did put in Hot Water Hose hose hookups outside, for washing the dog and other things and when doing machines, turn my on demand hot water heater up to 140 degrees. Have to wear gloves on the wand after a bit. Just need to remember to turn hot water back to 120, when done. lol
Psa this was from when I was a single lad now Im marrued with a kido on the way