Hey guys I'm possibly buying a tandem dump truck for business and was wondering if it's possible to get by without getting a pup trailer?
When I hire dump trucks whenever possible (if site allows) I will opt for the guys with pups.
Don't exactly how things are in BC. But around here you aren't going to get much work without a pup. About the only work you will get is some single loads to homeowners, etc. There are very few jobs for tight commercial sites where you will get work, they will usually hire transfers for this work unless it is a tight inner city site without any parking for the trailers on the street. Because they can still haul twice as much, and be able to fit in the site with a single truck. You should try and get a pup trailer so you will not be limited. And pup trailers are very cheap right now. If I remember right from a previous thread, you guys can only use those 2 axle pups up there. And like I said in that previous thread we almost can't give away a 2 axle pup down here, so they sell very cheap like around $2500.
Thanks guys. Wow. I guess it would be worth getting one if they're that cheap.
Here are a few for you. This one in BC for $5,600 http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=1614383 This one in Washington for $5,900 http://trailer.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/1985-BEALL-TRAILER-94148819 This one in Oregon for $3,500 http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2008957 I doubt these will sell for the asking prices, and if you look around you will find better deals or offer these guys less and see if thay take it. You just have to keep looking and be ready to jump fast.
You can run 3 axle pony pups in BC, a nice 2 axle pup is a better choice for most work, more maneuverable, doesn't get stuck as easy and tires last a lot longer. If you do get a pup the shorter axle spread makes the pup easier to jackknife. But the best bet is see what the locals are running.
In Ohio NO pups here! We have tandum's, tri's, Quad's 5,6, and even a few 7 axle units out there. When it comes to articulating those are usually tandum tractors and tandum to quad dump trailers, full frame and frameless. ( I just don't like them frameless dump trailers, they tip too easily)
In Illinois they're almost worthless because you have to haul by the ton and a tractor and dump trailer can almost scale 26 tons. You used to see a lot of them around St. Louis Mo. working the "commercial zone" with the right set up axles, tires, etc. I think some of those trucks could haul close to 60 tons. Around here it's hard to compete with a couple large companies with more than 500 trucks and drivers from foreign countries and prison work release programs making pennies on the dollar. Years ago I used to drive a tandem and pup carrying 13 tons on the truck and 11 tons on the trailer, but you'd almost have to have the load in a perfect spot to axle it. How much can you haul on a set of transfers? I know I have seen a lot of those going cheap in California.