Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is it feasible to do tracks over wheels on an 8 x 8

Devere1414 ยท 2016-10-03 13:38

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm doing some military-related research but I think you all could help me. I'm trying to figure out some terrain issues for infantry fighting vehicles. Basically, I'm wondering if tracks-over-wheels is a viable technology, or if you all in the construction/ag worlds are sticking with EITHER tracks OR wheels, depending on your terrain, and avoiding hybrid solutions? For militaries, tracks have a lot of appeal because they can support a lot of weight and therefore allow you to up armor your vehicle with a lot of protection. Also, in those rare instances when you are really facing a lot of muck, it's nice to have tracks. BUT... wheels are nice because they are cheaper and they allow you to get places a lot faster if you are on a reasonable surface. So I'm wondering if it's possible to get the best of both worlds...is tracks over wheels technology ready for prime time? There is a company called TEREX that claims to be building tracks-over-wheels... (see http://www.janes.com/article/58212/...ver-wheels-concept-on-terrex-armoured-vehicle )...BUT...do you all think this tech is really feasible? I can't figure out how this TEREX display would actually work. I mean, how do you steer an 8 by 8 with tracks over wheels? Don't you have to worry about the tracks staying on the tires, and also about hysteresis between the tracks and the tires? (and in the case of rubber tracks, chunking between tracks and tires?) is there a way to correct for this by doing skid/steer technology on an 8 by 8? Is there some other technology that would allow you to do tracks over wheels on an 8 by 8? DO you know of any companies that are doing this for civilian or mil applications? Thanks for your help!!!

Replies7
  1. #1Andy Martin2016-10-03 13:50

    Interesting that the TEREX link did not show the wheels/tracks. My skid steer has solid tires and I use McLaren tracks over them They work great but take about twenty minutes to install and they are very heavy. You can find their site and they would be eager to discuss what they could do for you. Very friendly, helpful sales people.

  2. #2Devere14142016-10-03 13:58

    yeah the pic is not very good..i googled it some more and found this pic... wait, is this Terex thing half tracks!!??? That's what it looks like to me in the pic... http://steelerslounge.com/2016/02/st-kinetics-debuts-8216-track-over-wheels-8217-concept-on/616306/

  3. #3Devere14142016-10-03 14:02

    actually, wait,... half tracks would mean the track would be on the back. I think the track in this pic is on the front, suggesting they are not doing half tracks... they must need to have some kind of special steering system to do this...

  4. #4lantraxco2016-10-03 14:20

    According to the sales sheet, it shifts to skid steering off road, I am guessing for soft underfoot conditions. Also amphibious. They only put the Loegering style track on the front two axles because there's a metal component sticking down between the rear two axles that would interfere with the track.

  5. #5DIYDAVE2016-10-03 21:21

    I checked out youtube, a little, looks like the older model has dual front steering axles...

  6. #6lantraxco2016-10-04 00:44

    Yes, both front axles steer on highway, must be a way to select skid steer for tight turns off road. And lock them straight for amphibious use perhaps?

  7. #7Canuck Digger2016-10-04 01:29

    Here is something (that may or may not be of interest) check out www.righttracks.com They're out of Edmonton, AB. They make all types of tracks for the boggy grounds of the oil patch. I'm seriously considering a set for a skidsteer. They're light, durable, affordable and 100% re-buildable... They have different height grousers for various applications I don't have any first hand feedback, but have talked to the company owner and he indicated I would not be disappointed. Anyone out there tried these?