Hello everybody! I was daydreaming in Ag Mechanics class today, and I came up with this insane idea. Can you drive a bulldozer on a state highway, with the proper licensing, SMV triangles, and pilot vehicles, and with some sort of rubber device that prevents the tracks from digging into the highway and ruining the road?
Why? Tramming the machine around not pushing dirt is the biggest waste of an undercarriage.
Maybe he wants to go for a barley soda!
Can still get a DUI in a unlicensed vehicle, just have to be on public roads. State of CO positions D8 crawlers with street blocks on the shoes for snow removal of some passes but as noted is really hard on undercarriage.
Well, I wanted to go create a world record for longest distance a cat has been driven on public roads, and maybe demolish some weed stores( I live in Oregon)
Smashing weed stores? I'd throw in a couple track rollers just for that!
I know, it sounds fun, but I'd probably get 10 years for destruction for property.
So why worry about whether it was legal to have the machine of the road in the first place?
I think I'd want a kidney belt and a suspension seat.... did you see the guy who plated up a dozer and smashed some buildings? ?
I've seen it , all together better machine using a D155 , I asked on the clip what serial number it was , not had a reply , very important serial numbers . another clip in still pics
How about the kill dozer?
We used to cross county and state highways all the time. If you really want to get in trouble in Washington State, cross a stream with a dozer.
I used to know what it cost per foot to track a 583 or 594 sideboom. I about **** when they told me what it was. Of course they’re really hard on the counterweight side undercarriage. Anything is theoretically possible....
I was going for the record, not smashing weed stores.
Any idea what the record is? Does it have to be on the road or can you find a place and just make circles?
We’ve been crossing roads today, legally, I think. The dozer has enough registration and insurance to sink a battleship. Although, we could cop a fine for crossing double lines.
People take dozers down gravel roads around here. No issues. Farm equipment goes down the road all the time. However, they are limited to 60,000 lbs gross and 25 mph.
Well I know one of our customers when coal was big ran a Fiat Allis HD41 about 3 miles down the road one night it only cost them a few windows in some houses as far as I know.
No, I do not have any idea of the record, but I am pretty sure that there is not one yet. I am hoping it to be on the road because then I won't be likely to throw a track, if I ever find the funds to pay for diesel every 5 miles.
that looks like a cute little dozer. what is the spike for? Is that for demo work
Tree pusher for those in Aussie land!!
Way back in 1977 we had a major snow n blow storm that left 8'+ drifts on many of the local roads in the small town that I live in (still do). I remember catting up main with a D8H in the middle of the night had to smile while watching the curtians being pulled back by the locals, wondering what was going by. During an event like that, we were considered local heros!! The big Cat's worked for over a month after that, pushing back snow banks on the side roads! It was an unpercedented snow event that has never been repeated............
I haven't ran a tracked machine down a highway and wouldn't consider it - undercarriage is expensive, just buy one. However I have taken various rubber tired equipment down the highway, whether or not I was "legal" doesn't matter now as the statute of limitations are past.
You need to find another record to break. Anything with metal tracks will shake you to death on concrete. Asphalt will too but if it's hot enough it might cushion it a bit when the grouser bar digs into the asphalt. It's awful just crossing a road much less driving on one. We use tires. About 10, 5 per side and 4 people. Guy at back picks up tire and brings it to front, kinda like a bucket brigade only cooler.
Just made the first weed store here ready to pave today. Gonna be legal country wide come August. Lord help us.
A friend used to "road" his old 690 Deere excavator short distances when weight restrictions were on....couldn't scale it on the lowbed. Weighmaster was not happy to say the least, not a damn thing he could do. Ed
...or put a crane in it. Saw that movie once.
I have roaded dozers short distances on both concrete and asphalt roads. Certainly not a wide open in 3rd gear. The ride was not very rough at all. For some reason I cannot explain is that, on asphalt the grousers will damage the surface going forward but, in reverse very little chafing occurs. On concrete it didn't make any difference.
I've worked in plenty of shops with concrete yards, aprons and shop floors. If the undercarriage is less than 70% worn dozers and excavators ride pretty smooth. It's when the grousers get wore uneven, the rollers are worn into deep valleys and the track rails get scalloped that the ride gets rough. There is no give in the surface to hide the bumps and grinds on a worn out undercarriage.
Buy stock in junk food companies because their stock prices are going to go sky high
Tinkerer, on Dozers Grousers are on leading edge of shoes, first to hit in forward, already on the last shoe grouser coming around in reverse. Makes sense to me.
I never thought of it that way but it certainly doe's make sense.
The front idler is pressing down on the chain and through to the grouser at the same time as the grouser touches the ground. The rear idler on a high drive contacts the back part of the chain and then rolls up on the link as the grouser is already engaged with the ground. On oval tracks the sprocket never directly connects with the ground through the track. The rear roller is the back contact point and it rolls up the chain the same way.