Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is it possible and cheaper to make up cylinder seal kits by ordering individual seals ?

Birdseye · 2024-02-17 20:43

I get it that normally its way easier when rebuilding a leaking hydraulic cylinder, to just order the cylinder seal kit. All the necessary and correctly fitting seals are (hopefully) included. If there is a missing seal, just call and the vendor will make it right. But...I have just looked up a cyl seal kit for a New Holland 7309 front end loader and the kit for a 1-3/4"rod cylinder is $175 ! There are only 8 seals in the kit , I dont understand how they could charge this much for something that probably costs $5 to make . Perhaps because the FEL was made 30 years ago, but still. My only alternative is to dismantle the cylinder remove the seals and carefully measure, look up and order each one from the supply house. This means additional down time and I may get the wrong seal etc . Im just wondering if anyone has gone this route to avoid paying high prices for the 'kit' , any advice or suggestions ? This FEL has 4 such cylinders which is about $600 for the seal kits, wow ! Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #192U 34062024-02-17 21:09

    During the bug we had a hard time getting seal kits and parts from overseas so we went the same route. There are a couple specialty seal places within a half hour of the shop and we'd just send them the old seals or a new seal kit if we had one on hand. They'd match it all up and build us kits. Usually cheaper and much faster turnaround (a few days vs a couple weeks/months). I never really noticed any quality issues, the aftermarket seals seemed to work just as good.

  2. #2Birdseye2024-02-17 21:13

    Thanks. I like that location: "Western Canuckistan" !

  3. #3NH575E2024-02-17 21:13

    You'll be damn lucky if you find a New Holland kit that fits. Half the time they want you to buy an updated gland and piston THEN buy the kit.

  4. #4OzDozer2024-02-17 21:35

    The exorbitant price of those kits would certainly make me look at individual seal purchases. Ordinarily, kits are cheaper than buying individually, but not always the case.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-02-17 23:34

    No problem and common practice, if you have a supplier handy and a few catalogs.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-02-18 01:20

    There's a place that all they sell is seals about 3 miles away. Take it apart drive over and give them 25 bucks and go home. I know I'm spoiled.

  7. #7OzDozer2024-02-18 01:26

    Birdseye, you're looking in the wrong shop. Here's one kit for your NH 7309 on eBay, for a slightly smaller cylinder - it's US$37.50 and free shipping from NJ. I'm sure they'll have the kit for your size cylinder. Hydraulic Cylinder Seal Kit For New Holland 7309 7310 Replaces SML41555 | eBay Rod requiring SML41555 Kit. Check your required part number before ordering. MPN: SML41555. 7309-SERIES, 757C, 758C, 756C, 7310, 610TL, 32LA, 33LA, 620TL. Part Type: Seal Kit. Condition: New. www.ebay.com

  8. #8Swetz2024-02-18 07:28

    Well, looking up your loader at Messick's it shows $259. So, you are getting a bargain at $175. BTW, did you notice Messicks has it in stock. Must be a hot seller. I usually purchase from CEA services, but I put the part number in and did not come up with any kits there. I have taken individual cylinder parts to a hydraulic shop, and they have helped me. I am honestly not sure you would wind up much cheaper, but worth a shot if you can find a good shop in your area.

  9. #9Birdseye2024-02-18 14:58

    Thanks OzDozer, thats the normal price I'd expect to pay. I forgot to check ebay. The Messicks site says "#sml40456 kit , This part is no longer available, it has been replaced with an updated item, 86581665" . The price of the NH SML40456 was $37 but the new part # is $299. I guess its some special plastic bag they put it in ! This is just nuts . ​