Its seems to be a fading memory. I was raised that way and still try to operate on trust and a mans word...…….but I have been had more this last year than any I can remember. Not huge losses by any means, but its the principle that pisses me off.
How do ya think I feel.. I have to take the customers "word" that they put the check in the MAIL.. .. THANKFULLY no bad ones yet.. and every transaction has been a pleasure.. Just goes to show the "salt" of the members here..
In FL a verbal contract is binding. It is harder to prove than providing a written one with signatures. I think most times, if someone is going to screw you, they will do it regardless of whether there is a written contract or not.
You'd think in Oklahomo, where men are men & the sheep are scared.. they're word would be good enough..?? {LOL} Tell us what happened V..
Have had some dealings with people on this forum and another for old XS650 Yamaha's. Wife always feels I'm too trusting for shipping the part before getting a payment. But every time I have shipped out parts or a tool I have the money in my Paypal account within a couple hours of when I dropped it off at the Post Office! Some of the small Yamaha parts I won't even quote a price, just tell them the shipping cost and let them pay what they feel part is worth. I have yet to feel I was taken advantage of, more often than not I feel they sent too much! I know there are many bad apples out there but I feel that the majority are good people. And when it come to people you have seen many messages from over a period of time you get a good feeling as to their character. Now if someone pops up five minutes from now and has never posted before and wants to buy something from me that I have $100.00 into I might not be so willing to ship it right out.
Easy now. No need to stir up feelings that are cooling off from last night
I'm the EXACT SAME way Hansen.. I'll get in my car & drive a part to the post office, stand inline to get it shipped & then tell the guy>> just pay the postage & whatever u think it should cost.. I had this 1 guy who lost the little peg that the main gov. spring hooked to on a DPA pump.. u know the little peg under the top cover.?? Well, I shipped him 1 {for free} & he sent me a pic of the envelope all ripped to **** & no part inside.. lol THAT took about 8-10 days to reach him.. So I put another 1 in a "bubble pack" & drove it to the PO & shipped it to him again.. Priority Mail..2-3 day delivery, for just the postage.. He was kind enough to pay for the part AND the shipping..
It sucks. I recall talking to my grandpa about it. He told me it was nothing new. People were pulling that **** back in the 30-40’s. If nothing else we know there’s a small click of people on here that are trustworthy. Did I just say that word to describe us?
I'm hittin the "report" button..Lol
That was the genius part of E-bay … The reputation part. Once one builds a good reputation, they have an interest in protecting it. buying or selling. It's something a lot of people just don't get... especially those in gov't. The pride of ownership, Slums are caused by people not having ownership of the property, so they don't care. Let the trash and garbage pile up. The roof leak, the toilet overflowing, the floors & walls get trashed. (see section 8 housing) The financial crisis was caused by the same lack of understanding. People bought houses they had no ownership of... The banks under duress let them have home loans with no money down. Without true ownership, people trashed the house and then left the bank holding the mortgage on an over priced sh*thole. The home mortgage was generally a secure loan BECAUSE people had their down payment at risk. Without that down payment, it was a SUB prime loan.
Kind of reminds me of the letters we get from large companies like Paypal or credit card companies, or from gov't bureaucracies. Whenever the letter is telling you something you may not like, there will be no name at the top, no signature at the bottom. It will be, Sincerely, Compliance Team. One of the scandalous accusations at Abraham Lincoln by his opponents was "writing of unsigned letters."
U wanna talk about Scandalous?? I JUST GOT an email from the orange tractor site.. saying I was asked when I signed up IF I was going to SELL parts or SERVICES..& that I had to PAY as a "vendor".. I think its 300. or 500.. A MONTH.!!! & the site is PLASTARD w/ "talk to an Asian chick" ads.!! I said NO, I'm here to help folks out.. & "they" see where I have been "selling" services.. BULL ****.. I mearly OFFER to HELP folks out.. & go into detail HOW they should do it..Its called DIAGNOSIS..& any mention of prices are done off board.. or by pvt msgs. The same dude that's going to kick me off the board tells folks to use Oregon fuel inj. shop in every other post.!!! ***?? I'm pizzed..
Offer the mod $50/mo. on the side.
The guys a REAL tool.!! he tells people that there are ONLY 2 PARTS inside the pump.. so go ahead & take it apart.!! I'm done w/ that crap.. I just went back & reread my last post.. A fella had no idea where to get his pump done.. I wrote> "I can do it, send me a prvt msg" then the fireworks went off & I got the nasty email.. He'll BE FORCED to delete my posts from the board unless I pay him 500.00 a MONTH.. just like the Asian hookers do.. lol
Not to throw gas on your fire, but telling someone to use a certain shop is different than offering to do the work personally. A better approach would maybe have been to send the guy a pm and wait. If he doesn't respond to it, post "sent you a pm" on the thread. I'm obviously not an admin/moderator, but soliciting work pubically sounds like the problem. Just an observation.
Shimmy.. That's what I "normally" do.. for some reason I felt sorry for the guy.. Hes got 3 pages & several videos of his machine running & Then was "begging" anyone, where to get his pump done, in a lapse of judgment I wrote> "I can do it, send me a prvt msg".. The site is really fun.. these guys cant even START the tractors.. let alone work on'm.. You think I'm kidding??!! go have a look.. BUT FOR GODS SAKE don't mention my name..hahaha
I stumbled across it the other day searching for Scrub. Personally, I don't need any more to distract me from life duties, lol. I'm seriously thinking about avoiding Agtalk from now on. Been on there for almost 2 years and that forum has more a-holes than I can stand. I don't post unless I am certain what I know is credible, but one guy disagrees with your ideas and then you get jumped on. Besides that, the level of ignorance shown by guys with multiple thousands of posts is ridiculous. Many times I've thought of changing my screen name to Threadkiller, lol.
I bought parts from New Zealand this summer. I had to wire the money over there. One of the guys asked me "how do you know he's going to send you the parts, when you wire him the $". I told him "I know for sure, he's not sending me the parts, unless I send him the money". It all flew through with no problems. I go to a lot of crane jobs with a telephone call, and no signed contracts. I find the people that want a whole pile of signed paperwork, are some of the worst ones to get $ out of. But I've got a comfort level that I don't go above on a job, until I see some money or have a credit card number with people I haven't worked with before. Most guys are honest, guys that are crooks are nothing new. We are all going to have to meet our maker some day. (at least that's what I say to myself to make me feel better).
Interesting thread-Because the company has it's own tow unit I have had several calls for towing. Nope I don't do outside tows don't want the hassle and trying to get paid. We don't do outside repair work anymore either, we have way less headaches in the shop now. I quit doing any pen & ink art work as far as one offs of someones rig because I got burned real bad on the one below. 40hrs involved in this Superliner-price was a giveaway at $65.00 plus $14.00 shipping-never paid, what a deadbeat. Truck Shop
What kind of idiot would have a problem paying for a custom print like that! You could put that in a gallery and get a lot more.
Really need to enlarge the name on the door some. Can barely make it out... Interested people might see and react. Just saying..... ya know.
Just click on the image and at least on a computer screen it is easy to read.
I must be lucky! Most of the time I try to give an estimate or least some idea of the cost. At some point I will give the customer a invoice and if questioned I just "You don't have to pay it just don't call me again" I've never been burned on equipment or heavy truck repairs. On the other hand I also work on motorcycles (mainly BMWs) more of a hobby or passion than for profit. I write it down first to keep it clear. You know what the cheapest thing about a BMW is?.... The owner
Hey :TRUCH SHOP".. u learn that in the BIG house.??Lol My "other" stepson is in for 8 years.. u should see HIS artwork.!! wow..
Nothing in particular. I have run into some deadbeats this year but they aren't going to break me. I am usually pretty good about character judgement when I meet a new customer but sometimes they fool you. I started paying attention to the equipment they have...……..if its a CAT, Ill call the dealer and ask about them since they probably buy parts there. It has saved me a couple of times already. I would say that my deadbeat ratio is less than 2% over the years, but it still irks me that there are people out there that will deliberately fraud you with a smile and a handshake.
I got to where no matter who it was when I made a deal or agreed to a price for work to get done I had the customer Sign a statement to that, had WAY too many Handshakes turn into a 'Well that isn't what I thought we agreed to' days. Had a dirtbag in the 80s tell me he could work payments out for some 'Minor' work that got pretty extreme pretty quick, he made two of what should have been EIGHT payments, tried to explain the other six off as optional or beyond the scope of our agreement. He then proceeded to try to bad mouth me to other prospective customers where I had to file a Libel suit to get him to stop and a Mechanic Lien as to the owed funds but the lien never paid up, he ended up paying court cost and a compensatory fee for the libel issue but remained a sore spot until he left the area.
Yes I did don't you remember I was setting to your left in the injection pump class that you stumbled through for 7 seven years of a 10. Truck Shop