I keep all my stuff on the local computer backed up off site. I can't stand the idea of the cloud holding everything. My computer is getting older and I need something faster. I have not used anything MS for a long time except what I could live without. My accounting is open source software. My word processor/spreadsheet is Open Office. I use Firefox and Thunderbird. I do not like the Windows 10 idea either of subscription whatever that means. What prevents the next computer from being Linux?
Only a short learning curve I think. I'm leaning that way myself, I'm on Win7 and not particularly fond of it, when they pull the plug on support I'll have to go Linux or Apple.
I use multiple boot so I can move from one OS to another.
Only reason my desktop isn't linux is gaming. Some day i'll get tired of doing everything on a 7" tablet and buy a new laptop and promptly replace windows 10 with linux of some flavor or another.
I fired Bill Gates and Windows a couple of years back and have been very pleased with Linux. It does everything I need doing.
Sometimes windows will be needed for certain items that need firmware updates via special tools. Except when updating some firmware or moving files from a gopro, I'm entirely running under linux. Separate machines though. Linux is much less of a pain in the ass as far as updates and knowing what the system is doing.
I like linux Debian Mate. I comes bare boned. Learn how to use synaptic, kind of like the google play store, and just add programs you want. I load virtual box through synaptic. A free program. Then load a copy of windows in that program. Then I run quickbooks there. So click on virtual box and windows starts like open office or any program. 18 years without anti virus. Internet java and flash player give me the most trouble cause I haven't updated in a year or 2. With Debian it's my computer, sat up the way I want, and if I don't want to update it's ok. Seemed like microsoft always thought it was their system and they were just being nice to take my money and let me use it.
Good day This is an interesting thread following the demise of Microsoft XP I had formed the opinion that upgrading was a industry invoked ploy. My own experience is that the MS operating system will be replaced on a frequent basis and to remain secure and get support users are obliged to upgrade, just to be sure the updates appear to slow the machine which gives rise to replacing the PC. Tired of ongoing costs I stripped one of my device's of all MS software it was then rebuilt loading Zorin (Unbuntu variant) .Most of the software required was included in the low cost operating system, additional software is free to download & install. An additional plus Zorin is able to run some MS applications. Sure it can miss behave but so can MS products however a nice feature is that lost speed is a thing of the past which confirms my suspicion that processors memory & cards are a very small part of the story, it is the operating system that controls the speed. I have used this machine for a number of years sure it is slightly different to MS think on you must have found your way around MS then Linux is less of a learning curve. Before any geeks reply that I have not maintained the MS systems I can tell you I rebuilt on a frequent basis, today I also use Apple formerly with the Maverick version it must be my best PC experience so far, unfourtunaly Apple to have begun replacing good operating systems on a frequent basis, while these are free the hidden costs are considerable its a real shame if Apple follows MS example. For absolute sure I will not return to a MS operating system. Kind regards Uffex
Well, to bring this back around, there are several things keeping me on MS for the foreseeable future: -Quickbooks because that is what the accountants want -MS Office because when a customer sends you something, it needs to open, and Open Office can't quite be trusted -Several vendors' service software, cataloging only operate on "old" Internet Explorer (won't even work on Edge) I am getting grouchier all the time with Win10 behavior, but software vendors still don't get it.
And Cat SIS requires Internet Explorer, security level set to lowest to install the software. Win Defender doesn't like that. Constant nag box pop-ups. Win10 Pro, everyone is a beta tester . Back-ups to save anything important, must do. Edge, Game-Box, Games, Store etc can be easily stripped out of the OS using power-shell or software like Revo Uninstaller Pro, updates manually toggled on-off 'when I want to'. Fun,fun, fun
I've been Apple only on my business since I first started using computers. The problem with that is other businesses all use MS. I have had to put Office for Mac on my box and it actually runs better than the PC version runs on a PC. Apple along time ago took up the update to oblivion game and I got about ten years of stuff that was done on the old Motorola chip. I have to keep an old lap top in order to have access to the old files as none of that stuff will convert to the newer stuff with the Intel chips. Basically it is all planned obsolescence to keep us having to buy new every three years or so.
About 5 years ago I got a new computer. I had a IT buddy strip all the Microsoft stuff and install Linux. I'm happy and haven't look back since.
If software providers can supply there products in three different platforms what is the problem with our industry StanRUS comments are about correct - who wants to be continually updating - fixing - changing a tool, for me I am busy with other stuff. Kind regards Uffex
Uffex, MS OS slows down because a majority of users download blot-ware, such as Adobe Reader without unchecking McAfee options; end up with ASK as default browser search. Free Anti-virus software that is Cloud based, sends all data to the cloud based server, reads data and sends the data back to the desktop-laptop. Also stores data to sell. Free software downloads from sources like CNET with their own 'paid to add-on' blot-ware hidden within the free software. YES, those types of downloaded blot-ware do slow down the OS. Time is valuable, I use Emsisoft Anti-Everything for Win OS / I read their articles https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32373/...e-email-attachments/?ref=newsbox_ticker181117 LINUX running on 3 boxes currently, Ubuntu - Kubuntu on 1 Dell T5500 Precision Workstation, totally free works okay; few tiny glitches, no big deal. LibreOffice is compatible with MS Office; few features I have issue with, but that is my own 'hurry to use' without reading the user's guide. https://www.libreoffice.org/ https://kubuntu.org/ Cheap PC Power built like a tank https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Precision-T5500-Workstation-Mid-tower/dp/B00OPC7IPE You can find T5500s cheaper, starting @ $55.00 as build using new eBay Samsung SSDs, DDR3 RAM 9yr old PC still kick *** https://youtu.be/7YfKmMptByU
StanRus i don't use blot-ware - since getting rid of MS no anti-virus, have no use for cloud so I guess you pay your money and take your choice. I prefer a tool to use not continually maintain, anti-virus is yet another cost weighing the MS experience to the bottom of the heap. While I can appreciate users reluctance to change and the issue with on line parts sites sooner or later those organisations will wake up to a world that does not rely on MicroSoft. Kind regards Uffex
I Guess this sums up the situation At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: “If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon.” In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release stating (by Mr Welch himself): If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics: 1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day. 2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car. 3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on. 4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine. 5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought “Car95” or “CarNT.” But then you would have to buy more seats. 6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads. 7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single “general car default” warning light. 8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size derriere. 9. The airbag system would say “Are you sure?” before going off. 10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna. 11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to :- • > » »delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department. 12. Everytime GM Introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate In the same manner as the old car. 13. You’d press the “start” button to shut off the engine.
There's more truth in that comment then most people think, just look at some of the equipment mfgs JD just to name one
That is a very old joke, and it has not lost much of its punch since it was written.
Birken, how about this? https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...au-john-deere-tractor-hacking-right-to-repair
I posted that one here a while back. All mfrs. are doing it but JD seems to have taken it to another level. They must think we are all idiots, they will surely reap the reward if they insist on continuing down this road. I hope those guys do another episode.
It would be interesting to see how the MS market share is performing over the past 5 years or so, no doubt they are still dominate as new PC seem to package the MS stuff could this be by choice ? KR Uffex