Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is it worth buying a quad dump truck

Carolina start up · 2025-08-26 21:07

So we have a tandem and a single axel truck both older but mostly use them to haul out debris. Or bring in small amounts of materials. In my mind it’s cheaper to just hire out the hauling in materials because some companies have grandfathered in prices at the quarry’s so no matter what their price is gonna be way cheaper then mine. I’m just trying to see if there is some added benefit to a quad that I can’t think of that y’all might be able to add to.

Replies21
  1. #1cuttin edge2025-08-26 21:13

    You mean a twin steer

  2. #2skyking12025-08-26 21:41

    I'm thinking he needs a four axle truck with a drop axle to get to the fourth axle.

  3. #3crane operator2025-08-26 21:42

    You find very few twin steer down here.

  4. #4AMBMike2025-08-26 21:51

    This is what we call a quad here. This is a random photo from the Internet.

  5. #5crane operator2025-08-26 21:55

    To answer the original question- do you want to drive dump truck, or do you want to move dirt?

  6. #6Tyler d4c2025-08-26 21:56

    I see your in pa get a tri axle unless your going in to other states. Pa only reconizes a quad to 73280 same as a tricycle

  7. #7Tyler d4c2025-08-26 21:59

    What the rules are in ohio and other states around pa I have no clue https://dl.icdst.org/pdfs/files/6a1ca2b15ac6ecf2f4d3e68cf7320c16.pdf

  8. #8AMBMike2025-08-26 22:01

    I assume you're referring to my post with the PA reference. Thank you for mentioning that. We moved several years ago and I never thought about changing my HEF profile .

  9. #9Carolina start up2025-08-26 22:02
  10. #10Carolina start up2025-08-26 22:03

    That would be a quad down here as well

  11. #11Carolina start up2025-08-26 22:03

    Maybe ??

  12. #12Carolina start up2025-08-26 22:04

    Im in Nc

  13. #13Tyler d4c2025-08-26 22:05

    Got mixed up on who posted the topic. They probably have a simular book maybe worth a study

  14. #14Welder Dave2025-08-27 00:31

    Unless you're hauling almost constantly I highly doubt you need a quad axle dump truck. Many large excavating contractors just use tandem axle dump trucks. For topsoil, gravel and similar supplies it's better and more economical to just have them delivered. A dump truck is a lot of maintenance and insurance is ridiculously expensive. Even more so with more wheels.

  15. #15cfherrman2025-08-27 08:56

    If those trucks are paid off don't buy something

  16. #16Carolina start up2025-08-31 20:36

    Yeah kind of where I was at can’t hardly find drivers now for the trucks we have so what’s another truck with no driver

  17. #17Carolina start up2025-08-31 20:38

    Yea both international trucks both older than I am but they run. Could never find a western star I liked when I was buying trucks

  18. #18cfherrman2025-08-31 21:07

    Emissions may get axed, it's a bill right now, if so there's going to be some cheap trucks show up on marketplace, might be time for you to snag a newer truck

  19. #19Carolina start up2025-08-31 22:11

    If that happens I’d probably buy a excavator that is newer then 2008

  20. #20cfherrman2025-09-01 09:16

    It's only for light/medium/heavy duty trucks right now

  21. #21Carolina start up2025-09-01 22:26

    Welp that’s okay news