Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is My Axle Repairable ?

Tinkerer ยท 2018-01-17 07:44

Like the title says, is the axle repairable ? It is on a 680 case T/L/B. There isn't any room between the hub assembly and the axle to weld a U shaped reinforcing plate on it.

Replies10
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-01-17 07:51

    I think your cost to repair versus cost to replace would outweigh one another. You have so many stress risers in net steel now that it has been deformed I would never trusted I think the simplest repair would be to have a machine shop cut off the end and Weld a new tube on the end of it. I can recommend one in lansing il, if you like

  2. #2Tinkerer2018-01-17 08:57

    Thanks funwithfuel. That is an option I hadn't considered. Could you PM me or post the contact info.? I don't live very far from you. This is the second identical axle failure on this tractor. I didn't own the machine when the original one broke. I did do the replacement for the previous owner tho. There are used ones available at exorbitant prices. But like anything used there is a certain risk that it will fail also.

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-01-17 10:19

    The company name is sergeants repair they specialize in machining and rebuilding that which is totally messed up. Your other option would be Hansen material services machine shop in Lockport

  4. #4Tinkerer2018-01-17 10:41

    Hansen is a lot closer to me. If no further options or opinions are posted that may be what I will need to do. Thanks !

  5. #5hosspuller2018-01-17 14:07

    Perhaps a hydraulic shop could do the job. Welding eyes to rods is similar. I wonder about the angle of the king pin axis to the axle

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-01-17 14:32

    I would think the geometry from the undamaged side could be copied. I could have cut the end off the original axle but the PO (one of my best friends) died and his brother scrapped it without even asking me if I wanted it. I just bought a bare bones used axle in Ohio. But, I still want to repair the damaged one. The way things are going I think need a spare. It only gets about 300 hours a year on it, but I move a lot of big, I mean BIG pieces of broken concrete with it. Hopefully I won't be wrestling with that stuff much anymore.

  7. #7Cmark2018-01-17 15:45

    I agree. In simple terms just lop the end off, weld on a new block of steel and bore it out. But make sure the repair shop vee the joint to full depth and, more importantly, that they understand the intricacies of caster, camber and KPI.

  8. #8funwithfuel2018-01-17 16:15

    Its a combo, never gonna reach 25mph. Its only gotta point sorta straight, that and hold together.

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-01-17 16:18

    That seems to be the best option by far. Plus you've got a reference to repair against. Glad things are shakin out in your favor.

  10. #10Tinkerer2018-01-17 19:45

    Thanks Cmmark. I'm going to make permanent note of your recommendation and keep it. It is an early 1974 production machine and in mid year the E series model came with totally different front axle arrangement. There are very few of those axles like I have available now.