Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is my gun worn out?

RobVG ยท 2015-01-16 16:59

I have a CP 1" gun for dump truck brakes. I do 2 or 3 brake jobs a year. The gun is about 12 years old. It seems to be needing more air. Would a rebuild kit (if I can find one) solve the issue? Is there any trick to rebuilding them? Thanks, Rob

Replies23
  1. #1Mike L2015-01-16 17:02

    I bet a rebuild kit would solve it. They are really simple inside.

  2. #2RobVG2015-01-16 17:04

    Thanks Mike Now to find a kit...

  3. #3Mike L2015-01-16 17:08

    eBay, amazon, cp.com,

  4. #4RobVG2015-01-16 17:25

    Got one from "Century Tool and Equipment".

  5. #5Ronsii2015-01-16 18:59

    If only doing 2-3 jobs a year I would think it would last quite a while... most of these guns have a screen filter in them right after the air enters the gun, you might check that too as they get clogged pretty easily if you get crap in the air lines.

  6. #6RobVG2015-01-16 19:34

    I check when I'm done. Nothing like a brake job to pump you up.

  7. #7mitch5042015-01-16 19:50

    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were wanting Granpa to tell you where he gets those double-strength little blue pills.

  8. #8willie592015-01-16 20:27

    Yeah, there's any number of directions we could take this, like, maybe that's his wifes opinion, right.

  9. #9mikebramel2015-01-16 21:35

    What size air line? How much moisture is in the line causing long term corrosion in the tool?

  10. #10Nige2015-01-17 08:53

    For example ......... This gun definitely appears to be worn out, maybe from lack of use. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30855782

  11. #11John C.2015-01-17 18:34

    Dump some Marvel Mystery oil in it, flush it through with a quick free blast with no load and go back to work. Also get a 1"supply line.

  12. #12tool_king2015-01-17 18:42

    Check to make sure all the air vains are free too slide .if you have ones that are stuck it will cause a weak gun.take apart and check.

  13. #13oceanobob2015-01-17 22:37

    Using incorrect oil will produce a sluggish low power effect and will have to be disassembled, cleaned, reassembled with a correct air tool lube.

  14. #14willie592015-01-17 23:22

    I do that frequently with my air tools. And when John C says dump, he means dump some oil in it. Place a shop towel over the air outlet of the tool and light her up. You'd be surprised of the junk that oil flushes out of the tool.

  15. #15Multiracer2015-01-18 07:06

    Any grease fitting on the front end ?

  16. #16RobVG2015-02-06 23:20

    Gun jokes- hardy har har.... Blaster air tool conditioner brought a 3/4" "impact wrench" back to life. I think it's more of a solvent. The only magic in a can that has actually worked. Edit: no grease fitting.

  17. #17willie592015-02-06 23:26

    Good to hear you found something that works. Blaster, Marvel Mystery Oil, air tool oil, whatever, drown the inlet with the stuff and light it up!

  18. #18simonsrplant2015-02-07 12:29

    If it allows, a little drilling and tapping works a charm... I removed the I let ports on my 1/2 and 3/4 inch IR guns and tapped them out to the next size up. Made a hell of a difference.

  19. #19grandpa2015-02-07 14:14

    Mine's not a gun.... its a Cannon.... just sayin.

  20. #20RobVG2015-02-07 16:42

    Yeah right gramps

  21. #21John C.2015-02-07 18:23

    Never been able to light one up. Every time I put a match on the outlet and pull the trigger, the air blast blows the match out.

  22. #22grandpa2015-02-07 22:23

    Lol.... good one Rob... you funny guy.

  23. #23ScottAR2015-02-07 23:12

    Blaster makes some great products. I once knew a fellow that would "fill up" his air tools about twice a year with mineral spirits and then put air to em. All sorts of oil sludge type stuff came out. Then oil as normal. Grampa manblast just doesn't sound right somehow...