Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is my lawn mower “ag euipment?”

TheOldMan ยท 2012-04-09 17:42

This may not be the right place, but it's worth a try. Kohler K301 12 hp on my gravely mower - no spark. Sometimes I can make it run for a few minutes, but not often. Points look good, new condensor, coil primary resistance 3.5 ohms, secondary 6.9K. Battery up to snuff. Plug gapped ok. I can rotate crank to open points position, with the condensor removed from ground, and use a jumper to ground from the condensor case, when popping the ground jumper, should get good spark across plug - nothing. Reinstall condensor, close points, switch on, and pop the points opem with a screw driver, might get one or two good sparks then nil. Is this a bad coil? Any suggestions?

Replies4
  1. #1maddog2012-04-09 20:51

    might be a bad coil, or something grounding out somewhere.

  2. #2TheOldMan2012-04-10 13:02

    Replacing the lead from the points to the coil/condensor seems to have fixed the problem. Couldn't find anything wrong with the old lead, but I'm happy that it's running.

  3. #3dirtmonkey2012-04-10 19:26

    Don't know if it's appropriate to say this here but try the " Tractorbynet forum " . They have a forum for gravely's . Good luck.

  4. #4TozziWelding2012-04-16 14:21

    My old Gravely with the 12horse Kohler likes to foul the points. I just pull the cover and give em a quick file and she is ready to work again. I am giving her a full service before I till this season.