Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is resting your foot on the brake on a Deere backhoe not a good idea?

emmett518 · 2022-02-26 15:22

When I am moving in my hoe, especially around tight quarters, I have a habit of resting my left foot on the brake pedal. Not sure if brakes on this thing wear, or if lightly resting will cause problems down the line. Is this a bad idea? Thanks

Replies29
  1. #1Finca SDR2022-02-26 16:25

    I do the same thing but really try to avoid it. Can't imagine it's helping anything.

  2. #2hosspuller2022-02-26 21:27

    I can't see it as any different than resting your foot on the brake while driving a car or resting your foot on a clutch pedal. Don't do it. As for timing of pedal response... I "feel" a moving foot gets better response than tensing muscles to get your foot to move the pedal. Witness pounding a table with your hand vs pushing on the table. The moving hand/foot has more energy to actuate the pedal.

  3. #3skyking12022-02-26 21:57

    I don't do it, and rarely put the interlock on the brakes either. I prefer being able to stab a steering brake when needed.

  4. #4AzIron2022-02-26 23:17

    Brakes wear for sure riding the pedal only adds to it That said using steering brakes hard and aggressively braking are not bad in certain tasks most guys not used to steering brakes run them locked and then when they need them they cant cover both pedals I worked for an outfit used a backhoe as a wheel Barrow right brake was shot from people only catching the one mlm pedal

  5. #5skyking12022-02-26 23:23

    If a person hasn't done much production with a 2wd case, ythey probably don't know about the diff lock pedal or how to use the steering brakes. 4wd hoes don't benefit as much from steering brake action, and they dominate the field these days.

  6. #6AzIron2022-02-26 23:33

    4wd is like having an e stick once you have it you dont know how you lived without it

  7. #7skyking12022-02-27 00:04

    LOL the bad old days of the 580b doing the wheel hop dance in loose material.

  8. #8emmett5182022-02-27 04:47

    How easy is it to replace brake pads or linings?

  9. #9mg23612022-02-27 06:30

    Absolutely! Here is a pic of an "L" I had just done. Only the left brake was worn.

  10. #10skyking12022-02-27 09:47

    my uncle two pedaled the car like that. Made my wife ill so I did all the driving on vacations in Hawaii FTW.

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-02-27 10:05

    I have never rested my foot on a brake pedal. It is a needless and bad habit to get into. I also never use a pedal interlock. Most pedals are close enough together that one foot can push on both of them.

  12. #12hosspuller2022-02-27 10:23

    I missed your saying your "LEFT" foot. The brake is on the right side ? This inherently a bad idea since an immediate need for hard braking has your body in a twisted position. It's more difficult to apply pressure and steer, when you're twisted and out of position. If you meant the clutch pedal.. Still a poor practice. Bad idea and practice either way.

  13. #13emmett5182022-02-27 19:42

    How tough is it to do brakes?

  14. #14hosspuller2022-02-27 22:59

    If you can remove the axle housing without removing the hoe, it's straight forward. The housing weighs a couple of hundred pounds. And assuming the housing friction surface isn't fubared. figure a couple of hundred $ in new discs, seals, springs and fluid. See here for typical 310J https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/59083/referrer/navigation/pgId/507149384

  15. #15mg23612022-02-28 05:17

    Requires a complete rear axle removal.

  16. #16emmett5182022-02-28 06:37

    Not something I can do. Appreciate the info.

  17. #17aighead2022-02-28 09:35

    Hmm, thanks for the question emmett... I ride the crap out of my brakes. I guess I should be doing more 1st gearing, huh? 1st seems so slow around the yard but 2nd is often too fast, at least over the bumps... Brakes are in back, are they? I guess I should cool it on that.

  18. #18emmett5182022-02-28 09:39

    My property is a tight fit. In fact, I probably should have gotten a 3 series, Deere backyard tractor, size wise. So it’s too easy to ride the brake. The hardest part of operating is maneuvering a 24 foot piece of equipment without hitting anything. I’m really happy though that I followed my friend’s advice, and went “yellow”.

  19. #19skyking12022-02-28 09:39

    Yes knock that off. My wife's dad taught her to keep her left foot on the floor at all times, unless actually in the process of shifting. He did this by pinching her right leg if she ever forgot. Her first clutch outlasted the car. Riding the clutch, riding the brakes, all bad all the time. The only exception is inching under a load with a set of forks, or placing a load up or down a hill with forks or something similar.

  20. #20skyking12022-02-28 09:42

    If you need more hydraulic power shift it into neutral, or with a modern machine depress the neutral switch on the bucket control.

  21. #21aighead2022-02-28 10:17

    I remember my grandma being a two-foot-driver and it'd make me bonkers, so, in the car I don't ride any pedals (every time I go in for my services they always ask if I've replaced the brake pads, I haven't) other than throttle. I'll have to change my ways a bit on the hoe. I do use the neutral cutoff as much as I can, but most of my braking is going down my bumpy decline from the driveway area of my house to down where the barn is now. Maybe a 10ish foot decline of 50-70 feet?

  22. #22skyking12022-02-28 10:19

    if your foot is off the throttle then no problem

  23. #23rickw2022-03-01 08:02

    I was taught from a young age not to ride the brake or clutch. It stuck!

  24. #24DGODGR2022-03-01 08:55

    My CAT 416C brakes seem to last about 5,000 hours before needing replacement. I have replaced the brakes twice in the time that I've owned the machine (bought new in '97, >13,000 hours on it now). Most of those hours were out on the machine by me (I was an owner/operator for most of my ownership experience with this machine). I did not leave my foot on the brake pedals unless I required braking. It is a habit that will wear your brakes prematurely. I think that you mentioned that yours (the OP's) is a 310. I would assume we are talking about a Deere 310. I'm not hugely familiar with Deere 310 backhoes (I almost bought a 310 SE when I bought the 416C) but I believe them to have a similar rear axle design as the CAT (the CAT has a ZF) with in-board, wet brakes. I consider myself only a shade tree mechanic. No formal training, self taught (with manuals), based on necessity. The two times that brake linings replacement has been required, I did the work myself. The job requires removal of the rear axle, and once out, removal of each of the (2) axle housings. Each time took me about a day and I would not attempt it without access to a shop with a concrete floor. It has probably been over 10 years since I last replaced the brakes. IIRC it cost me about $3,500 in parts but was quoted $6,500 (parts and labor) for CAT to do the job. Who knows what that would cost today (parts only, or complete job). It should be noted that my local CAT dealer was quite helpful (instrumental actually) to me. They took my calls while I was doing the work, gave me advice, and even offered tips that helped me complete the job correctly and efficiently.

  25. #25cuttin edge2022-03-01 09:48

    Not quite your machine, but close.

  26. #26aighead2022-03-01 10:24

    Ha! I get it guys, I'm never touching the brakes again! Between the pain in the butt and the cost, goodness! At least that guy, cuttin edge, was doing the job in his pajamas!

  27. #27cuttin edge2022-03-01 12:11

    Some of his methods are unusual, but I guess you use what you have. That side shifting boom would be handy.

  28. #28Tinkerer2022-03-01 15:02

    Side shifting backhoes are very handy. But the post style stabilizers can be a nuisance in some situations.

  29. #29cuttin edge2022-03-01 18:31

    I sometimes swing the boom sideways, so the bucket is touching the raised stabilizer when running on the road. Bringing the weight forward a bit stops some of the bounce. That sideshift could be real nice for that. That has always been my pet peeve with a backhoe, is the boom stuck in your face.