Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is there a best grease or is it all the same

Jeremy Whittaker · 2023-10-22 01:47

I was greasing my 345bl today and I've always bought the grease from Empire. This isn't a big deal except it requires me going to the store. Is there an online source/brand that is a good go to?

Replies6
  1. #1IceHole2023-10-22 02:00

    Various greases for different things and climates. And of could each maker will claim their's is the best. For pins and bushings, a moly base is good. I've been using Delo Grease #2 and Chevron 5% Moly. We had 40 or so.boxes at work that expired so I bought them at like $1 a tube.

  2. #2KSSS2023-10-22 02:21

    I keep looking for the best grease. I am not sure I will ever find it. I have been using 238 Schaffers for the last couple years. Its pretty good, but I will continue to try other brands. So far, this moly seems the best of what I have come across.

  3. #3Nige2023-10-22 05:19

    A grease with 5% moly disulphide is probably the best for all the grease points on the front end. For the swing bearing and swing pinion grease bath a regular EP2 non-moly grease is the one to go for. Anything manufactured by one of the major oil companies should work fine.

  4. #4IceHole2023-10-22 13:00

    Why no moly on the swing? Aside from fast moving parts like wheel bearings I'm not away of any issues.

  5. #5Nige2023-10-22 13:28

    Not recommended for cross-roll slewing bearings because the reduction in friction can cause the rollers to skid rather than roll and result in premature bearing wear. I was involved in the replacement of swing bearings in a fleet of Hitachi EX3600s costing about $1m in total for that exact reason.

  6. #6perryskorp2024-05-14 19:48

    Just stumbled on this older thread…interesting, my ’91 Kobelco manual says #2 lithium on pins and #1 lithium base with Moly on swing gear.