Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is there any value in used D8T track pads

walkerv · 2017-12-07 00:42

I am soon to be in posession of 88 pads from a Cat D8T . this is part number I think 329-9269 I have to verifiy that along with wear , if i remeber correctly they are 45-55% worn 5600 hrs on them in landfill so they have the trapazoid hole in for the sprocket to push crap out of the chains . seems like a waste to throw them in scrap metal when they have plenty of grouser left on them for dirt work , just curious thanks for any info

Replies11
  1. #1Bls repair2017-12-07 06:58

    I’ve seen contractors weld up track pads because they were so thin they were so wore out they would crack. I think if you wait long enough you’ll find someone to buy them.

  2. #2CM19952017-12-07 07:34

    A regular pad at my dealer retails for $107.03 plus tax. That gives you a starting point on the value of the used ones. I'd say 20-30% the cost of new?

  3. #3John C.2017-12-07 16:28

    Are they actual landfill pads or heavy duty with straight line grousers? Once you figure out the actual percentage of wear apply that percentage to the cost of new and start your advertising at that point.

  4. #4walkerv2017-12-08 17:40

    they are heavy duty straight line grouser just have the hole in the track pad . they are not landfill pads like h&j makes special for compacting trash , we just push trash with ours

  5. #5walkerv2017-12-09 17:50

    i will take some pictures of the new tracks vs the old pads when i get the machine back to the site , i was also thinking of possibly making them like new with the weld on grousers pieces and when it gets near time for track work again i can send the pads down to the track shop and save a little money but that would be totatlly dependent on how much those repairs peices cost vs my welding wire and time to weld , it maybe more worth while to attempt to selll them to a dirt dozer guy

  6. #6Tones2017-12-09 21:15

    BBQ plates if they are to far gone for anything else.

  7. #7walkerv2017-12-11 02:33

    lol they arent that bad looking to me i thought about even cutting the tracks up and welding them into a fire pit rings for any of the guys that want one , only catch is i wont help them unload it

  8. #8DPete2017-12-11 10:28

    I'd contact your local independent undercarriage shop if you have one, they might be interested. If the trailing edge is good they are worth a re grouser.

  9. #9DMiller2017-12-15 20:06

    Ever weld on landfill equipment? I do not think that stink EVER goes away, soaks into the steel!! Don't ask how I know.

  10. #10walkerv2017-12-20 21:59

    um yeah i am the landfill mechanic , our landfill always smells like a mix of detergents and perfumes it is a strange smell, only time it gets rank is when the waste water treatment sludge comes in and waste from the rendering companies ,

  11. #11Tones2017-12-21 01:17

    They'd wouldn't be any good as hungi stones then. Hungi; a method of cooking food in a hole in the ground practiced by the Maori people in New Zealand.