Or anything manufactured within the past 15 years or so and if so can you give me an idea of model and manufacturer? This machine is possibly too old and possibly too worn out for me to consider. I am wanting a machine such as this cause it has the backhoe and the loader combo and it will fit in my high cube storage container. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ditch-witc...rentrq:916b6ad01680aadc6f9344e1fff3432c|iid:1 Thanks
Much better machines but not for $11,00. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...uction-equipment/manufacturer/deere/model/110
Kubota has several small backhoe/loaders in their lineup, but they are also pricey.
Thanks, Im in no rush and will keep looking. I understand that I have slim chance of finding the ideal machine though
Ive seen lots like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Kubot...h=item26118ebbe8:g:bJwAAOSwHglcSkh4:rk:4:pf:0 From my uneducated eye it looks like a lawn mower with attachments. Over priced and under capable
Another option is a skid steer with a backhoe attachment. Kubota makes larger machines as well.
first time to see this, another option. thanks
Do you have any experience with the skidsteer backhoe attachments? Can you tell me if they are specific to particular machines, whats entailed to switching between a conventional bucket or the backhoe arm? Anything else that helps. Seems like this might work as well for me and thanks again for showing me another option
Older CK580 with no cab fits in a connex box just fine! have to climb off over the back.
I like this option. I have used a fair number of lightweight backhoe machines and they all seem too wimpy. Hook a big rock or root and the machine drags itself around instead of digging it out, etc.
If you don't know equipment nobody can tell you everything that might be available to do certain jobs. Here's a video of Bobcat backhoe but the guy is a poor operator. Switching the hoe generally takes about 5 minutes or so if everything is set up right.
I understand, I have a trade and the same can be said but we learn by asking questions, Im gonna start collecting info about these skidsteers cause again I know nothing about them but they seem to be a very versatile machine. They were recommended to me on another forum and Ill have to go back and re read posts but I think what turned me off was people saying they sucked in the sand. So many different opinions online
It was mentioned older CK 580. google tells me thats case. What does older maybe mean? In other words is there a particular year range where these things outshined another?
Its just all that extra case horsepower at 12-13k I'm not sure its too light, though the early versions were indeed a tractor with added FEL and Backhoe attached.
Ok I see now ck 580 isn't a skid steer and is very old. Can I get some reccomendations on a skid steer that would accept a backhoe attachment. I need to focus on something that will suit my needs
I think any skid steer with a high flow attachment and bobcat style quick attach will accept any backhoe that's hi flow. My neighbor has a GHIEL skid steer with a bobcat backhoe.
Can you recommend where I would go maybe it's this formum, I don't know but I'd like to find a good skid steer, maybe a few years old,something that is proven reliable. I also need to find out things I need to look for as far as wear I don't want to buy something that's all worn out and done already
I've been watching YouTube videos on skid steers and they seem really easy to move around, they have the bucket in the front which will help me move mulch or logs. if I get the backhoe attachment as well I can probably remove some small stumps and it'll probably also help me to stack my logs. I bet I would be surprised at all the things that a skid steer can help me do around my property
Best bet is likely check the local craigslist for machines for sale, and when you find one, invest between 1-200 and have a dealer inspection done, usually the road service guys know about how to inspect them. I did that for a wheel loader and every problem found had been listed and noted. Backhoe attachment, forks, power broom, snow blower, brush mower, post hole digger, wood splitter, tree grapple, the list of attachments is never ending.
Thanks, I am still amazed at the cost of heavy equipment, I cant see how its justified except Im assuming that its assumed people are gonna make money as used in business so they escalate the prices.
A lot of supply and demand, for a mini excavator you can pay 60k for a used one or get a giant link belt for less money, not much demand for the monsters but everyone wants a mini. The pre purchase inspection is key and an oil analysis is helpful.
Used machines are only worth what someone will pay for them. The worry I have about a rubber tire machine is the sand. A skid steer will do a lot of work but in loose sand won't do much. It depends somewhat on what kind of sand it is though. You don't need high flow to run a backhoe on a skid steer. It would be way too fast for even the most seasoned operator and running at idle or low throttle is not good for any diesel machine.
That is a Ditch Witch machine. It is still made although don't know how old the one is in the add. The fencing company I used to repair my fence after a 4x4 pickup slid thru it on ice [dumbass] owned one.
Sugar sand, even my tractor with new tires can struggle As far as i can tell ditch witch didn't make anything similar any more. I'm off the witch though anyway, can't afford to continue making mistakes
Can someone hear give me some suggestions on who I should be contacting locally just to find more information. I'm afraid to do anything through a rental company or through the auction. rental companies **** is going to be all worn-out and the stuff at the auction is there for a reason as well. the suggestion of having a mechanic that knows what he's looking at was a good one. I'm a bodyman I've been a bodyman for a little more than thirty years I do most of my own mechanical I can do dashboards or suspension, nothing that I can't do I just don't know anything about heavy equipment maintenance or repair. what types of businesses sell used equipment? I'm not even sure how to necessarily Google that to find someone locally that specializes in the sale of this type of equipment such as skid steers
If you think that prices of used machines are unjustified then I would suggest that you price similar new machinery for comparison purposes. The market price for used machines generally mirrors the price for new machines of the same type. Regarding rubber tyres in sand, maybe a track version of a skid steer might be more suitable..? For used equipment Machinery Trader is one of the web sites you can look at.
Your absolutely correct on your thinking 1930 about buying from rental company or auction its a good chance it wore out. The only thing I have ever been around that functions well in sand has tracks. The skid steers are a good bet. Almost all larger equipment manufacturers build them. A friend of mine has a Bobcat with a set of bolt on after market rubber tracks. Its an older machine and I know he wouldn't spend a lot on anything. I would browse the dealers and local papers see what is available. Obviously depends on how badly its needed.
What's the downfall to buying something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-JOHN-...878511?hash=item1a7305532f:g:Qn4AAOSwe7ZcN32m It's kinda local looks to be in decent condition. Would it really take that much money to put a motor in it? My other hesitation is if it's profitable repair why aren't they doing it and selling it?
I may be now wasting people's time. I called the seller of that e bay item. Ok guy but definitely a business owner. Short and too the point. Told him where I was coming from, he told me don't even look at that machine. Told me be ready to spend 20 grand plus for a decent machine, told me unless I had business I'd never get financing regardless of how high my credit score. This thread and the one on the other forum have been a real eye opener. Different world, To me buy the machine, go to a junkyard, buy a low mileage ( or hour ) drivetrain for 3 gees tops, stick it in and call it a day. No biggie. Evidently I'm missing something
Here's another one https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-John-...884563?hash=item23b48b5153:g:sZUAAOSwoURcS592 Why not do a head job, maybe re ring or worst case scenario rebuild at maybe 4000? Seems like a ok machine but not as nice as the one above. What am I missing? Can't I worst case scenario buy a low hour engine off e bay for couple thousand tops? I can do the work, nothing I cannot fix
If you have excellent credit, go talk to your banker or credit union and see what they'll give you for a loan. Then decide how much you want to spend. The problem with a newer machine is the engineering, the engineers get sharper pencils and learn how to do more with less, which the accountants and first buyers like. That's not so good for you, look up some threads on rebuilding a Case 580 engine and then look up some threads on blowing engines in newer skidsteers. The newer skidsteer has aluminum, puts out twice the horsepower from half the weight, not good for YOU as a shade tree mechanic. I'm not even getting into the hydraulics, cooling system, HVAC, etc. all crammed into a phone booth. If you're complaining about the cost of obsolete used equipment you obviously have no idea what it costs to fix newer stuff. Even thinking about a newer tracked machine with a $10k budget is foolish. You have no experience with equipment mechanics or you'd see what people are trying to tell you about machines and the cost of keeping them going. The exception to what Nige said in post #26 "The market price for used machines generally mirrors the price for new machines of the same type." is what Fast said in post #21 about supply and demand. Mini excavators and skid steers (especially tracked skids) are in demand, so the prices will be higher and the ones in your budget will be even more questionable. Backhoes are being replaced by the minis and skids (and they've been around for far longer so there are more sitting around) so they're more available and cheaper. Tires aren't ideal on sand, but beggars can't be choosers, and if you can't get a backhoe unstuck then you shouldn't be operating it, they will pick themselves up and move with NO WHEELS. Writing off auctions and rental companies isn't going to help you find a machine. Rental companies aren't likely to sell something for $10K because they run newer stuff, but auctions are where you should be looking. Maybe not bidding at first, but you have to know what stuff goes for locally and get an eye to spot what's wrong with them quick. Most auctions I've been to will let you operate the machine to some extent. Paying a mechanic to go down to Bobs Budget Skid Steers under $10K lot is not going to work.
Ok I get it. Lots more than I anticipated
If you think $10k is a lot of money in the world of heavy equipment you'd probably have conniptions at my workplace. We're just overhauling a fleet of equipment and the parts budget alone is into 7 figures, and that's per machine, not for the fleet ......... I can't buy an engine for much less than $100k.
It's a wonder anyone is surviving.
We have bigger budgets, that’s all there is to it. You want to make money you have to be prepared to spend it first. Delmer made some very valid points in the post above.
Just to give you a taste of naive I thought if I could buy an OK/kinda decent backhoe for 15 - 20 surely I could buy a smaller skid steer for 7-12 that would used but real nice. Might be its back to looking at backhoes again
One idea, if it's feasible, is to flip it. If you have the means to buy something, use it for what you need it for, and then resell it. I'm not saying this is best answer. Once you're finished you have to have the time and patience to wait for someone who is willing to pay what you're asking, dealing with the low-ballers, no-shows, and the like. You might have it longer than you would like. There's always TNT for those really pesky stumps!
You would be surprised what you can get at an auction if you know what to look for and have money in your pocket I have seen backhoes go for stupid cheap like 10 and under because no one there wanted a backhoe that day Owning equipment is not a cheap hobby if your not in business what will really be eye opening is just the nut and bolt stuff and what it adds up to that's not to include self inflicted damage to learning I bought a new hydraulic hose on a hoe this week cause the operator caught a rock under the swing tower a shank broke on a bucket today and last week a window broke from road debris on the freeway going between jobs it's never ending Dont be discouraged I say all this to point out that this will probably cost more in the end than hiring it done but if its something you want to do just have your eyes wide open and expect to spend money
Don't buy a newer damaged machine because you think it's cheap and can fix it up and have a newer machine for less or the same money as an older machine. It will be a giant can of worms. I think your biggest problem might be the sand if you expect to get traction to dig or push with rubber tires. Steel tracks wear the fastest in sand and aren't cheap to replace. I imagine sand is hard on sprockets and stuff on rubber tracks as well. Not every machine that is rented or sold at auction is worn out or junk. There are great deals if you know what to look for.
You can get deals if your saavy enough when your looking. Be at the right place at the right time in an auction, just don't get in a hurry and really look them over good.
If you want an object lesson in buying older machinery, I suggest that you take the time to read through this thread. At the end of the day I think you may find it worthwhile bearing in mind your situation and needs. I would suggest that the OP has a much higher level of maintenance capability than yourself, but don't take that as being a criticism, just to help you be mindful of what you could be getting into with equipment. HeavyEquipmentForums
I appreciate all the responses/suggestions. I'm looking at a couple different machines, I'm leery to post them cause chances are iffy thatthat som is gonna accuse me of basically being a dumbass and too be honest I'm tiring of the online beating. No offense to anyone here. Bottom line I know I don't know what the heck I'm looking at as far as wether or not the machine has issues and at this point that can't be helped, all I can do is use my best judgement and hope for the best. The little Kubota I bought I like cause it's basic/ simple and I know there's nothing on it i can't fix when it breaks. Sure it's old and basic and slow but that is of no concern to me. Maybe i need to find a backhoe from the early/mid eighties as well. I'd like to buy this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bobcat-B20...chine-Skid-Steer-Bucket-422-HRS-/372575019994 machine but I'm scared cause even though it's low hour it looks not well cared for. If anyone here knows of a similar machine ( maybe a few years older so I can get it cheaper and have more wiggle room for repair money ) than I would appreciate a heads up of model number. This machine here would do everything I'd like to do and then some. It would also be a keeper
Here's my Kubota. Btw. It's a great tractor. Wish it had a bucket and 4 wd. They came with them, just not mine. I've had it for a few months and never an issue, Ive pulled trees out of the woods 16 inches in diameter and 10 feet long with this thing.
Picture sucks, on phone. Post later
That bobcat is about 30HP and 6,000lb so it's not the same thing I'd consider a tractor loader backhoe. The price is suspiciously low for the hours and age... You could do worse, if it was local, I'd say pay the money to get somebody to look at it who knows something, tough to do though, not a lot of those around so you'd have to find somebody who at least knows the components and can guess (or research) to see what to look for on them. I don't think looking for certain model is the way to go. I'd look local (whether that's drive it home distance, 1 hour driving or whatever) and see what comes up.
I thought the price didn't jive with the unit for sale
If the trees haven't been cut yet and you have the ability to cut it high, say ten feet or so, you can tether up to the top of the cut for more leverage and pull on that and the stump usually follows. We knock trees down by pushing all the time, usually pulls up most of the stump and the rest is easier. The sand could cause issues with traction and if you don't have a ROPS or cage, can be dangerous if your strap gives.
I think some pictures of the actual property and the sand your dealing with is required to help advise on a machine for you. Otherwise this thread could on forever. You aren't sure what you need and are flipping back and forth. You say you aren't in a hurry but your actions say otherwise in my opinion. Lets see what you're trying to do.
Take a look at his other thread Dave. It has photos. HeavyEquipmentForums
I saw the photos in that thread but it doesn't really show what the sand is like once you dug into it. He said he trouble with his little Kubota and pulling his DR backhoe around so I would say a CTL or Bobcat with over the tire tracks or a smaller track loader like a Cat 931, Case 450 or JD 450. I know my skid steer is useless in playground sand and white silica sand used on some golf courses. If the sand has some clay in it and packs it will do some work but still not very good when you need to dig into it or need traction to push tree's.
What you need given your criteria is almost impossible to find. If you did choose a cheap suitably sized and speced machine at your budget, the chances are something expensive will fail and the repair cost will be eye watering! You could be lucky, but judging by my experience and what I've read on this forum that's a real lottery. Your best shot would be to get someone in with a large tracked excavator and get them to knock down and uproot the big material and then you can clean it up with your existing machine or one you find at your leisure. That way the really machine busting work will be someone else's responsibility and you can get on with the job quicker. Could save a lot of money & time. AusDave
Another option is to rent a skid steer or CTL and see how it works before purchasing one.
Throttle position sensor on a Volvo grader, $650.00 windshield wiper motor for an L90 Volvo loader $1400.00. alternator for a Volvo grader $2300.00 plus an $1100.00 core charge. Hydraulic quick couplers on a bobcat skid steer easily broken $400.00 each. A new 15 inch asphalt grinder for a bobcat $32000.00. a set of bristles for a sweepster broom for a bobcat $1100.00. . The money going out never ends. Make sure you have a big bank account just in case
Crazy but eye opening
I think not. You are coming into an industry of which you've had no previous experience so your "price radar" isn't calibrated yet. What Cutting Edge posted are good examples of what you are getting into and what you need to be aware of. I just ordered a chassis crossmember for a haul truck that cost $19,000 and I was surprised how cheap it was. If you'd asked me I would have estimated it to be probably around $30k. Go back and have a good look at that thread I linked in post #41 above. In many cases the OP lists what he paid for the parts to repair, update, & improve the tractor he originally bought as a "runner" for $10,000. I would hazard a guess that he has put in probably the same amount of money again in parts after his purchase, so right now his 951C probably stands him at about $20k. This is what you are getting into with "old school" non-electronic equipment that is repairable by the average mechanic with no more than a half-decent set of basic tools. There is a reason why the thread has gone over 60 pages, if for no other reason than a tribute to the tenacity of the machine owner to get his piece of equipment "right" as opposed to simply "it runs" .........
Even a rubber Track machine is not fool proof. I've seen guys ruin a track pretty quick, and well the track on my snowmobile was $800.00 so I would dare to venture a skid steer track would be a lot more. In my mind a four wheel drive rubber tire backhoe is all you need. Case seems to be really popular on here. I wouldn't go real old. Not all electronics are bad. A lot of that stuff can be diagnosed with a good multimeter and a book.
For a price perspective another thread posted an add of a 2013 bobcat T770 for $15,566 that he was interested in. I suspect it's a scam because the price was low, the pic wasn't in the snow, too clean etc. and at least one other person agreed. In the good old days you could find scammer skidsteer adds for $2,555, the prices have gone up even in Nigerians imaginations
There can be a lot of good reasons to have someone come in and give you an estimate for the work you want done. Yeah, maybe you could find a $10,000 machine that would do the work but the repair bills for every little thing will nickel and dime you to death when you're on a tight budget. Have something major go wrong and your work won't get done until you can afford to pay for the repairs. Renting a machine(s) is another option that won't leave you with unexpected expenses unless you're seriously negligent.
I was just going to add to this thread, I have been working with various decrepit equipment all my life and I hire done or rent as much as possible. Especially in this land of Tier 4 everything, I like to have somebody else be responsible for that engine spaghetti.
I appreciate the responses and the advice. I understand that you people are trying to not let me make a mistake, the same mistakes some of you have made. With that said I DO NOT want to hire someone, I just turned 50, Ive worked hard all my life, so hard Im hopefully gonna kinda retire Feb 2023, I cant do the things I used to do now that I could do at 30, its only gonna go downhill. I want a intermittent use machine for my property, ( that will fit in my storage container ) something that will be used intermittently to help me move dirt, stack wood ( with the help of a thumb ) help me move heavy objects ( Ive already had 3 hernia operations ) if at all possible help me to dig out some small stumps ( with a backhoe attachment ) and do prob an endless amount of other chores without breaking my balls. With that said Im hoping its OK to post some what about this examples. It will give me a better idea of what and why not. Im just trying to learn, dont take it personally So what about this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gehl-3310-Skid-Steer-Loader-/292944994170?oid=292935171813 I know its not tracked, just trying to get some examples out there. If this were avail locally for this price why would I want to stay clear of it?
So what you are saying, is that you know what you want, and it's your money and you're going to do what you want with it. You posted on here hoping someone was going to agree with what you thnk. Despite what you are being told about cost, you find it hard to swallow and think there is no way it's that bad. There are guys on here that genuinely want to help. I see them pass on tricks and even take the time to look up diagrams and schematics even part numbers to help a fella out. Me? I'm just bored. It's winter here and besides a bit of snow plowing, I'm stuck at home with the wife at work and waiting to meet my 8 year old girl at the school bus. So I have time to waste. But at this point, I'm gonna tap out, and wish you luck with whatever junk you find out there.
Our owner hates ruined rubber tracks so much I have made a set of mirrors for our JD 333 CTL that I bungee on to the boarding hand holds so I can see the track under the loader frame. I Hate walking with a prolonged limp after the chewing is over! 1930 this is a great forum with people that have very deep pockets in all phases of our business. They ask questions and comment in an effort to assist you. As pointed out a mistake and a lot of us have made them. By purchasing the proverbial "turkey" that seemed like such a great deal and ended up plowing 15,000 dollars into a machine that we paid 8,000 for that at the end of the day is worth 10,000. At that point it is no longer the great deal that was offered up, obviously. There is a lot of operating experience here as well. Pics of your place would aid in commentary regarding the tool best suited to your site conditions. I'd like to see them just because they wouldn't have snow in them. Good luck on your selection and your project.
Sounds good, thanks Maybe someone would come along and say I had one of them, it was a great machine or the opposite. Just looking for opinions on the machine, Gehl, seems familiar.......junk or good, thats all. Thanks
Feel free to keep talking about machines, nobody has to read it. Then again, nobody responding has to have any expertise either, you get what you pay for so to speak. I'd guess that Gehl is older than you think it is, smaller than you think it is, therefore not as powerful or useful. Probably NOT a standard quick attach? so you can't use attachments which are usually the whole point of a skidsteer. If you said you were retiring and wanted to build a cheap horse barn, maybe board a half dozen horses to cover your expenses, and you needed something to help out, then this MIGHT be a good idea, IF you were at LEAST as handy as the guy selling it. If you can't go look at a machine and talk to the seller, then you have no idea what's going on. If you do talk to him and look at the machine, you still might not know what's going on, but at least that's your mistake to make then. Bottom line, I think your chances are slim of buying a skid steer and having it run for three years without moderate breakdowns with $10,000 into it. A medium size ag tractor (about 100hp) should be easy to find in that price range, probably even find a slightly smaller one (60-70hp) with a loader. I say that not because the smaller tractor will be cheaper, only easier to find with a loader than 100hp loader tractor, more rare around here
Whats the point of that? You haven't even established the fact that such a machine will be appropriate for your property. Depending on the sand on your property you could drive the machine onto your property and immediately get bogged. I have a skid steer which has a backhoe on the back, (JCB 1CX). I have been on quite a few sandy sites and without the backhoe to push or pull me out I would have had 3.5 tonnes stuck in the sand until I paid someone to pull me out. FFS, hire some equipment and try it out on your property. You won't have to ask all these questions on a forum when you find out what works and what doesn't. It could save you tens of thousands of dollars which is what you could lose with the wrong decision. Like many on this forum I have made decisions in the past on equipment I regretted. Didn't have online forums 40 years ago to get advice. Just got a touch of yellow fever and bought a heap of **** which I then had to spend thou$ands on before I could even use it Try before you buy, thats a cliche that will never go out of style, AusDave
That is good advice, rent what you want, and you will be getting some work done in the meantime until the right deal on the right machine comes around. It could very well be that the machine you need at a good price and distance is just not up for sale at the moment but might be 5 years from now. Until then, why wait. This is just business sense.
Paying $500-1000 to rent or hire a machine is the most cost effective way to see if a particular machine will work in your application. I think your DR backhoe, that you aren't happy with, was considerably more than that. Beyond that I don't think there's anything else that can be said.
Can add to this one time, I own my own Allis HD7G loader, do the work to it all on my own, have a farm tractor as a backup plan or extra hands when needed. Both machines are essentially worn slick, have less than $7k in the crawler, around $9k in the farm unit and I am retired with loads of time. Problem is all manner of Other project aligns when not ready that cut into major project time, items fail at the least opportune time, where a Local has estimated for $26,000 can establish grade, dig out, set banks to grade and no more than 3.5 to 1 slope to place a pond. Will do that in less than three weeks including a Cattle waterer supply line but I have to set the feeder strainer head pipe. Would take me a month of sundays to get even close to done where I am Not that good on the machine and know too little of Retention dam construction where having them do it is all together cheaper/faster/cleaner/more to legal. Having a contractor come in and do the work may actually save you more than you can imagine just in lost time.
As an instance doing some research the machine I posted above has approx 6 inches ground clearance. Useless to me. I dont know what skid loaders typically have for ground clearance but if its typically around 6 inches than id sink in the sugar sand in an instant so not really an option. Evidently there are track over wheeled attachments, costs are insane. Im learning
Trying to get my wife to post a video of the land/tractor. It will be done tonight. I think as suggested maybe only a tractor is gonna fit the bill
I'm learning... that you aren't really paying attention to any of the responses until they say exactly what you want to hear.
Did I miss the post where someone here told me I can buy x machine for under 10000 dollars and it would do everything I wanted it to do? Cause that's what I really wanted to hear. In the meantime I'll learn a little something about heavy equipment in general if it's ok with you.
I think you missed the dozens of posts that say you won't find a machine for under $10,000 that will do everything you want to do. Should have heeded the warning in your first thread on this topic.
I didn't miss anything but thanks
What you Need is a Excavator, a smaller loader(tracked) a small dozer and a CTL to do the finish grade, none of the listed will be under $10k. None of the machines listed will do an awesome job of all needs, stumps removal, push outs, loading excess materials into ravine or truck, smoothing over fill and then finish grade. Each have their place where a median sized excavator would be closest yet relatively expensive to buy and then repair. I likely drop $3k into my machines over the course of a year in repairs, I add it up just prior to seeing the tax accountant, do not care to know earlier. A excavator with any reasonable hours will be $25-35K, repairs and maintenance over a year doing spot work around another grand, fuel has not been spoken of nor engine oil/hydraulic oil, grease, could be spending another grand over three months time just for those. I know a lot of farmers get by with old junk but they are handy mechanically and have tools collected for decades, not great ones but tools, jacks, cribbing blocks, come alongs all due to needs elsewhere. Me I have many each jacks, blocks, come alongs chains and hoists. Have four chain saws of varying type as well as none do every duty needed. I have a 200 gal fuel tank on site, keep it full as never know when will need refills. Stock up on quality lubricants, hydraulic and transmission oils, have used either Rotella or Delo motor oils almost expressly for years keep those at hand too. Hobby excavation work is not for the faint of heart or light of wallet I suspect that has come to mind in recent posts. There are no machines less than $15,000 that will not need major work and major parts quickly after start using, there will be higher dollar machines do the same and if not well coordinated in their use and care will do harm to both them and your pocketbook. Is Easier to stick a crawler than not, it is easier still to miss a track adjuster seeping off or slip a section of wood into a rail and roll a rail off while in a bad spot, tires will find stobs or sharp chunks of rock and get flattened or worse ruined. And the inevitable get into a wonky state or position, do something controls foolish and tip a machine over. Make CERTAIN the machine has installed seat belt and use it. Many of us here have taken those nasty bumps. This was a bad day backfill dressing at our new home, came back next day and put it back on, Alone, This machine is smallish and weighs in at 23,000lb,
And most of these farmers were taught by their fathers from about the age of 3 on up so it is second nature to them.
I used a friends Terramite. Damn thing has a koeler lawn mower engine. I dug out some tree roots in a tight spot I couldnt get my backhoe in. Worth a look. Loader lifted a full bucket of gravel and clay.