found a cabbed case 580sm 4x4. that seems to be in good shape, but missing motor and trans, for $16,500. wondering if its worth the effort or should i just buy a running one. my budget is 24, 25k tops
Definitely a "project" purchase. Can you replace the engine/trans for $8-10K? Secondly, what about all the bracketry and miscellaneous pieces that are missing? I'd want to have an extensive knowledge about that before committing!!! Post pics if you decide to do it. Will be a great project to follow!!!!
My question is why would you take an engine-trans out of a good machine. If the engine -trans bad ,why take it out unless you are going to replace it. If rest of the machine is bad and engine -trans good ,take it out and sell it?
A 580SM with out a transmission and engine. Yikes !!!!! Sounds like it was stolen for the the parts. Better make sure whoever is selling it is the legitimate owner.
yeah something dont sound right
i believe thats what happened , was stolen for the motor and trans.was bought from the repo place. machine looks almost new from the outside. just wondering average price for motor and trans. my brother will be seeing the machine during the week
View attachment 176522 View attachment 176522 View attachment 176525 View attachment 176525 View attachment 176524
anyone have a clue where i could source a used motor and trans to put numbers together
with a 25k budget I bet you can find something running and in just the same condition as that one
run away from it,,, if it needs a motor and trans why is it all put back together looking like it is ready to work ???
good question. guess its not worth the hassle. thanks guys.
For sure, especially since it is 4-stick.
I think someone is feeding you a line. That machine looks to have a lot of use and by no means looks like new. I'd guess the engine and trans needed work and it was either too much to fix or was fixed and the owner didn't want to pay so the shop kept it. My former neighbor left a rebuilt engine at a shop because he thought they were charging too much. I think the way it sits, it's not even worth 10K.
If those phone photos are the machine you are talking about what is holding up the exhaust pipe ??? I thought the engine was missing.
Great point I bet its a miscommunication. The machine won't run and they believe it needs a motor and or transmission. could be a good buy if you do the work your self
One other strange thing in the photos is, why are there blocks of wood behind the rear tires. Maybe they don't know how or cannot unlock the boom and lower it. Certainly the parking brake must be nonfunctional.
It's not at an equipment dealer so the people may not know what they have.
If it’s like my 580K, the exhaust pipe is attached to the hood, closes down on the muffler when you shut the hood
If I had a backhoe that was missing the engine/trans, and periodically needed to move it, I would most certainly have the boom locked up.
yeah they also chained the out riggers
I am really showing my age. I missed that too. If the engine and trans. are missing I cannot imagine how many other parts were removed with them.
Yeah, my concern is all the bracketry, etc., that was removed in the process. Should be a cab full of pieces and hardware.
Looks like the extenda hoe cylinder may not be there as well.
just how do you see that when its inside the boom?
Every take the hose off an extenda boom cylinder ?
Certainly have, the hoses look like they are out of the bracket in the picture to me