Hi, I'm looking for an excavator to work on some land I own and found this. Poclain lc80, 1980, the meter doesn't work anymore everything is working, traction is used a lot comes with a spare duetz motor, traction motor, cylinder, and some other miscelanous part owner says he doesn't use it anymore so some seal are leaking and of course, pins and bushing are loose. The excavator is in working condition and the seller seems trustworthy. He says it's able to work right away, nothing needs to be done right now. Hydraulic oil and engine oil have been changed 2 years ago and it almost sat not working since then. It's still starting and working though, he used it a few hours each years... I'm looking to be able to put a few hundred hours working for myself: septic field, digging foundation, building boulder wall. It's weighting 15 tons and has a 8 cyl. duetz in it. any advice accepted, I think I need to move fast on this one but I may be mistaken. The owner says the parts are available in my region (quebec, canada) thanks Alexis
Hi ! I don't have a lot of experience but first is the price very high ? parts availability ,you should double check that info cause Poclain is not a very popular excavator so I would be careful . do you know someone who is very skilled with excavator so he or she at least could do an inspection on this machine . check oil and grease ( I think those Deutz are air cooled but not sure a 100% if not air cool check antifreeze and make the motor runs and check the radiator if you have any bubbles in there might spell a head gasket leak ) . do a road test for traction , check also the slack in the slew ring , you might have to change filters . Also when you start the motor in the first 5 min put your hand ( becareful it can burn) on the exhaust manifold on each cylinder , if you have one cylinder cool or cold it can spell a malfunctioning fuel injector . I'm sure there is some others tricks of the trade and many knowledgable people can help you out on this forum !!! good luck my 2 cents I own a J-D 690-B 1980 ( those have parts availability very high due to the fact that tons of those machine have been sold all over north america) .
wow, I managed to foget to tell the price! 8000$ and it's 2 hours away. thanks
to reaseal pistons its going to get expensive , some shops get $500 and some want $1500 + parts. If it was my money I would find something the resale and parts would be easy to sell and get parts. like a 15 year old cat 120 or 311, 312 or kamatsu 75~ 120 . If it has 6000 hours and has had good maintance it would not scare me , the key is how it was cared for . A friend of mine just sold a Komatsu 120 that had just under 12,000 hours on the unit. I had a pump rebuild and piston resealed not long ago , the motor was still good and untouched other then maintance .
8000 seems high for this unit...to me.You're going to have to do stuff to it.I don't know that unit at all.Montreal Tractor may be able to tell you better...if any parts are available.They sell Link Belt.They may have some OLD units available,or know of someone with one.I know that the Link Belt,Cat & Deere stuff have easier parts availability than that unit...probably Komats too...
$$$$$$ I know it is your money but buy something you don,t need to work on or rent a unit.Junk will always be junk and if you decided to sell it wow. Over the years I have bought newer units cat or deere and have found they run pretty trouble free.When you do need parts you can get them. When you decided to sell them if they are kept up you will get your money back out of them.
thanks for all the advice, I will pass on this one!