Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this a sign of a bad injector?

oachs83 · 2023-09-26 10:18

I have a 2004 Lull 944e-42 with a 4 cylinder diesel engine. Once at operating temperature and you are closer to or at full throttle it will sputter, lose power and kick out a lot of white smoke with a faint bluish hue. It will not do it all the time as there is times I can use it the entire day and it’s fine and other times it becomes almost unusable. I noticed on the bad days if I shut it down for 10-15 minutes it will work okay for a bit but then start acting up again. The oil and coolant are all where they should be and I have not lost any fluids during this issue. Does this sound like a bad injector? Thank you.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2023-09-26 10:59

    Without being there it sounds almost like a shortage of fuel. Before diving into the fuel injection system have you done the basics such as replacing the fuel filter, clean the screen/water separator (if equipped), make sure the breather in the fuel cap is clear, and drained any water & sediment from the fuel tank.?

  2. #2oachs832023-09-26 11:06

    I did replace the fuel/water separator filter but just noticed there is an inline metal fuel filter as well. I’ll try that and look at fuel cap too. Thank you

  3. #3Nige2023-09-26 11:09

    In addition don't forget to drain enough fluid from the tank to ensure that you remove any accumulated water/cr@p that might be lying in the bottom.

  4. #4oachs832023-09-26 12:10

    This inline filter was hidden behind the motor and Fran and I frankly never knew it existed. I just replaced it and it seems to be running much better. Need more seat time but it’s night and day difference from this morning.