Well, I finally bought a used backhoe (2010 John Deere 310J) and everything seems to be working OK. I found something that looked strange today and want to ask what it is and if it should be this way? Take a look at the photos. It looks like it shouldn't be open like that to me.....
Is that the flywheel up in the hole? Look up in there and see if you see any rats nest.
Thanks Bowen. I just checked and there is supposed to be a plate covering that hole. I wonder why the previous owner removed it. I'll install one asap. Can't be good mud getting in there
Yep, I'd sure put the cover plate back on that before you get working it, even if you have to make one! I would wash all the mud off the bottom ,after you get it covered, as the coating of mud acts as an insulating blanket - holding the heat in and if your location is accurate you sure don't need additional heat on these components. Just a thought.
Thanks Curbster. I'll try to make my own cover because it costs like $30 at the dealer! I'll be cleaning the whole machine before I use it to see exactly what I've bought. Might find some other things that need fixing.
I'd hose out the whole inside of the "bellhousing", with the engine running if you can do it safely. Then let it dry or just run it till it's dry before you put the cover on.
The bellhousing is where the flywheel is? I just pressure wash it out from the hole?
Yes, the bellhousing is the open compartment with the flywheel, I'm assuming it has almost as much mud as the rest of the machine. Don't pressure wash inside there, use a garden hose and spray nozzle.
Okay. Thanks delmer. I'll do that.