Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this price Good, OK or Bad?

ericscher ยท 2015-01-11 19:29

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm picking up a used excavator. It's a 2004 Takeuchi TB135 with three buckets, a brand new engine and 2,000 hrs on the rest of it. ( I don't know why it has a new engine and consider asking to be somewhat futile since I have no way of knowing if the answer is true. ) I drove it a bit and detected no problems. It starts, runs, drives and stops quite well and everything works smoothly. Also, the new engine is quite obviously new. To fake that level of detail would likely be more expensive than buying a new engine. BTW, I know it's quite likely to be a re-man, but That's not an issue for me. Anyway, the excavator and three buckets are $19,500. I wanted to get a bracket welded on and a hydraulic thumb hung from it and was quoted $1,850. I don't know what brand or model of thumb yet, although I have an e-mail in. So I'm wondering how those prices sound to the group.

Replies7
  1. #1clintm2015-01-11 21:10

    that sounds about right with the engine work. I would a least ask about the engine

  2. #2CM19952015-01-11 22:02

    Ask for the receipts/paperwork on the engine, they should have it.

  3. #3mikebramel2015-01-11 22:46

    For a cab machine the price is fair

  4. #4ericscher2015-01-13 06:58

    It's not a cab machine. Open ROPS. Basically it's just a 2000 hour TB135 in good operating condition with three buckets and a brand new engine. The engine is definitely new, not simply a quick and dirty rebuild. Not saying it's factory new, because I don't know, but at a minimum it was professionally rebuilt in a rebuild shop, not the equipment dealers garage. What do y'all think the price SHOULD be?

  5. #5707pc502015-01-21 00:46

    have you verified the hour meter is actually working?

  6. #6maddog2015-01-21 07:24

    11years old, 2000 hours, 3 buckets, possibly fairly new engine(reason unknown)... Are you mechanically inclined, if not do you know someone that is? Not saying it's a bad deal BUTTTTTT what is the reason for the engine exchange, and even though engine might be new doesn't mean there isn't 2000hrs of wear on everything else. I would pull out the fine tooth comb then make a decision.

  7. #7ericscher2015-01-21 10:20

    707 - Yes, the meter is working. Well, it moves at least. I am ASSUMING that if part of it works it all does. mad - I am mechanically inclined, although I don't actually work on anything anymore, unless we're talking routine maintenance. I have people for that who are far more skilled and also have all the right tools. However, it does give me the ability to look a vehicle over and spot the trouble signs. Plus I drove it. It's about as fast as molasses running uphill in January, but that's normal for Tak's apparently. More importantly, it's all smooth and functional. As to the engine, I don't know why it was replaced and I would not necessarily believe anyone I could ask. I SUSPECT it was what in my Army days would have been called "Operator Headspace & Timing". One thing I'm sure of is that it's a new engine. Or, more accurately, a new powerpack. This wasn't just a new tall-block under the old tin. Someone removed everything removable from the engine compartment and put back in new everything. Not only is the paint not even STARTING to burn off, even the various paper tags are in new condition. It's a moot point of course... I decided to buy it.