Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is TO-4 spec a current spec?

ScottNC ยท 2017-02-10 13:43

I have been looking for clutch and final drive oil for a '67 D4 but don't find any claiming to meet TO-4. Is TO-4 a current designation or is CAT calling it something else? TO-2, which I think is an even older spec is still listed on several oils. Maybe someone can give a short run-down of some commonly available oils that meet TO-4... like, perhaps Rotella will work?

Replies5
  1. #1Old Magnet2017-02-10 17:33

    TO-4 Specs....

  2. #2Nige2017-02-10 17:37

    OM's attachment is for Cat TDTO oil which meets TO-4 specification. However all the major oil manufacturers (Mobil, Conoco, Shell, etc, etc) sell an oil that meets TO-4 specifications. TO-4 is a current spec, there is nothing newer available.

  3. #3Delmer2017-02-10 18:29

    In the US we're used to being able to walk into wally world and buy anything we need. In this case, you probably have to go to an oil distributor, who might have to order it. I'm not aware of TSC, farm stores, etc. that sell this oil.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2017-02-10 19:36

    Oil at our local Cat dealer is as reasonable as anywhere else. I just recently purchased some for my D4D clutch. Frankly I was surprised.

  5. #5ScottNC2017-02-12 14:18

    Sprawl Mart doesn't carry one nor does Tractor Supply. TS however does have a TO-2 spec oil which was what got me to wondering if the TO-4 spec ID had changed. I understand from an old post here that NAPA has one, need to do a price comparison between them and the local Cat house.