Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is trans to-4 sufficient to use in place of the cat trans 30 in my old 988?

MattR · 2024-10-31 15:20

For all the years I've owned equipment and my prior employer, we have always just put motor oil in without any problems. But I know I'm going to be changing transmission oil in my 988 soon, just wondering if I should put in what it called for or just staying with motor oil is fine. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-10-31 15:27

    Using motor oil you are working to a standard that was discontinued probably 40 years ago. This was back in the day when all manufacturers tried to use a “one size fits all” mantra as regards lubricants. The preferred oil for any Cat powershift transmission of pretty much any age is now TO-4 spec. SAE30 would be the correct viscosity.

  2. #2MattR2024-10-31 16:33

    Thank you again as always. I think we're getting somewhere on that tranny. I'll keep you posted. It's appearing to be in the safety valve now

  3. #3IceHole2024-10-31 18:31

    We have a few big shops that run Delo 0w30 engine oil for trans, hydraulics and finals. Everything from D6 to D10s to 980s, 988s, excavators, Challenger tractors, etc. Story I was told is it technically meets TO4 specs, and they got CAT to approve it, dunno. It's quite a bit more expensive than Chwvron Torq Force 30, 5w30 or P66 PowerDrive Arctic 0w20

  4. #4Nige2024-11-01 05:11

    For those type of climate conditions I would imagine that went back to the days when multigrade TO-4 was not available. Today it would be a 10W30 TO-4 in everything powertrain related.