Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Isx liner shims!

Bullair389 · 2023-03-22 19:37

Does anyone have a lead on 0.050” liner shims for 152 diameter liners? 08 isx cm871

Replies14
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-03-22 19:57

    Your liners have a blue O-ring correct and non tab shims in the lower counter bore? Your looking for top counter bore shims?

  2. #2Bullair3892023-03-22 20:01

    I I believe so lol. I am just going off of what my mechanic told me. We can find 0.020 and 0.032 shims but we need 0.050 shims. I have a buddy that can get them but he’s 4 days away. I just got told 50 thou liner shims lol for 152 diameter liners

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-03-22 20:02

    https://www.mddistributorsstore.com/cylinder-blocks-heads/cylinder-liner-shims?p=3

  4. #4Bullair3892023-03-22 20:15

    This gives me 20 32 and 62 thou lol unless I’m missing something

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-03-22 20:45

    You may not be missing something-but these outfits sometimes don't have every item listed. MDS is a bigger outfit you might want to give them a call, because they have several vendors.

  6. #6pushbroom2023-03-22 21:27

    The shims for 150mm and 152mm liners are the same. Are you trying to cut out cracks that are deeper then .030"?

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-03-22 21:53

    https://www.ipdparts.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/EP_Q1_2018_IPD-Article.pdf

  8. #8Acoals2023-03-24 15:28

    How do you feel about aftermarket engine parts such as MD supplies in general? Would you use an inframe kit like this in anything you were working on? https://www.mddistributorsstore.com/fp-diesel/6if1601131/inframe-kit 3k is a lot cheaper than probably 10K or more for the same thing from Cat, but is the stuff any good? I know on the automotive side much of the aftermarket stuff is junk. You buy a cheap rebuild kit and the rings don't fit right, ect. Some of the aftermarket stuff is decent, but you kind of have to know what you are doing. The same with heavy parts?

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-03-24 16:47

    Really there is too much talk about aftermarket parts that are defective. Most of the aftermarket especially for Cummins is Federal Mogul F/P Diesel same with automotive. Social media has produced tons of fictitious stories of engine failures caused by Aftermarket. Cummins no longer supports anything below a N14, most all 855 Cummins OEM parts are gone. So the only choice is aftermarket. I installed countless Clevite engine kits in all types of Cummins CPL's years ago, I don't remember any issues. Also installed Interstate McBee in cats, And some Clevite in Detroits. The only area I've found is gasket material. One always has to consider the experience level of the person performing the work along with the environment the work was done. I've walked through some so called repair shops that are so filthy, crap piled up a common rat wouldn't live there. Not to mention the slob who owns it is a pig. I doesn't matter what brand of parts are being installed if there is no true professional approach. Mahle owns just about every major aftermarket parts producer. There were thousands and thousands of automotive engines rebuilt with all aftermarket parts, just to name a few. Perfect Circle, Hastings, TRW, Clevite, Melling, Michigan, Safe Guard, Silvolite. Manley, Goodson. Engines that ran just as long if not longer that a OEM. Truthfully if a Mechanic {not a tech} knows his business knows industry standards, all will go well. Also a very good understanding of automotive machine and what is correct and checks the machinists work before installing. 95% of issues come from not properly inspecting parts on disassembly and clean/inspection. Sure there is some cheap parts to stay away from-but that has always been. Countless automotive camshafts have been ruined or life shortened because of improper break in during the first 15 minutes of operation. Breaking in a diesel is the same needs to be run for a minimum of 2 hrs with at least 75% of weight or load of a full load. That doesn't happen very often, unless pre dyno loaded. But given all that it only takes one idiot that can tear up a anvil to ruin good work and parts no matter the brand.

  10. #10DMiller2023-03-24 17:50

    Between 71 Series Driptroits and old Series Cummins, used a Great Deal of Clevite to save a customer some money, absolutely nothing wrong with them. Reliance makes or sells great AG Engine reman parts, Heads, Rods, Pistons, replacement bolts, Sleeves etc. Go to Deere and order old Two lunger parts, get the parts out of the Deere Boxes and chances are will find Reliance cast in them somewhere,

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-03-24 17:58

    You and I both know none of those brands wouldn't have lasted long if there were too many real issues.

  12. #12Truck Shop2023-03-24 18:00

    Hasn't replied back so who knows pushbroom.

  13. #13DMiller2023-03-24 18:32

    The IPD Pistons and sleeves I installed looked EXACTLY like Cat Parts, had CAT p/ns, suspicion is made in Same plant as CAT just rebadged. Head I bought, where the CAT Trademark was on old one was a Grinder mark, likely out of Same Mould Line.

  14. #14Truck Shop2023-03-24 18:39

    One of the last engines I rebuilt a Series 60 14L has IPD because it was a three week wait on OEM. It has over 500K on it still going hauling spuds in Idaho.