It almost worked, but the building snagged the ball... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rRD5vCx9A8
Looks like poor planning there! ops I would have liked to seen what it looked like after the dust cleared.
Really cool shot. Isn't that the old tower at the Citadel in SC?
I bet the man running the crane said "I wish this thing would swing a little faster, OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"
bet he had the pumps turned up after that.:usa
I bet he wishes he woulda kicked the brake on this load line loose and let the ball hit the ground while he was swingin away. Ive heard of this happening before. The last one i heard was a crane operator tripped a grain silo, after the dust cleared he couldnt find the ball. After looking at the boom tip he realized what happend. The ball swung around the boom tip when the top of the silo hit the ball as it fell.
Man with all that room why not just use TNT, and call her a day?
Tonka, a lot of places will not allow you to use explosives. New York City being a prime example. That and TNT is quite expensive. I was on a job where we shot 3 smokestacks. If i remember correctly it cost 50k for about 40lbs of explosive and two days of prep work.
Interesting to know how much of that went to the insurance company.
I would imagine a good portion went to the insurance company. Not sure, since the whole site was being torn down, so unless they blew a stack sky high there wasnt much risk involved
though it's the first thing that people think of when they think demolition, Blasting is reserved as a last resort for most projects. if it is in any way feasible to do mechanically, it will be. blasting accounts for less than 1% of all demolition, especially since once the blasting is done you still need equipment to clean up the mess. it is a huge liability, and SOOOO much red tape! We're shooting a stack on saturday, which has been re-scheduled 4 times because of nothing more than dust control issues. Eric
I've seen several things blasted that could of been done mechanically, so I wouldn't say its a last resort.