Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IT18B FUEL ISSUE!

Jasoncarlon · 2022-06-16 20:19

I have a customers IT18B, serial prefix “1DF” with a 3204DI. it dropped a valve, put a new reman head on it, and new piston/rings. Can not get it to fire witho it ether or pumping the primer while cranking. Fuel system was a bit sad so decided to overhaul it. Had the injection pump rebuilt, and put new injectors in it & filters. Still the same, if I crank it while someone pumps the hand primer it will idle, as soon as you stop pumping the hand primer, or try to rev it up, it dies. Plenty of pressure from transfer pump etc (which was done with the rebuilt pump). Only thing that hasn’t been done is the adapters through the valve cover, read somewhere they have a screen in them? Seems strange it will fire if pumping the primer though. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1stourpaine2023-10-06 16:35

    when you hit the start position on the key I believe the relay should latch and keep the electric fuel pump running maybe thats not happening?.as its direct injection and you changed pistons did you possibly get the pistons in the right orientation so the injector can inject into the cup in the piston just a thought

  2. #2Dave Neubert2023-10-11 21:08

    I got 3 supply pumps from CAT every one was bad I finally took one apart and the check valves were bad put new ones in and i fired up. Do you have fuel pressure wile cranking

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-10-27 00:50

    Did you happen to notice where the pumps were made?

  4. #4Dave Neubert2023-10-27 08:41

    they were OR pumps rebuilt by CAT