Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IT38H Wheel loader

kyle sutton ยท 2018-01-09 12:55

Hey yall Im currently working on a IT38H wheel loader. It'shaving a problem shifting automatically out of first gear. There are no error codes when we hook up the computer to it> Now what the operator did was put it in second with the selector lever and shut off the unit and disconnect the batteries let it sit for 30 sec.s and started it up. The unit was in second gear but still wouldn't shift. He went to grab a load of cushion sand and had it in the automatic shift position and the unit would not downshift to first gear. Im lost as to what could be going on i have zero codes in the transmission computer

Replies8
  1. #1Mark2502018-01-09 18:02

    check that the manual auto switch is in the 1-4 position and check that your left brake pedal has returned fully serial prefix ? JNJ ? mark

  2. #2kyle sutton2018-01-09 18:19

    the switch is in the 1-4 position the left brake peddle has also returned to the full return position according to the computer and the feel of the pedal the sn# is pjnj00217

  3. #3John C.2018-01-10 11:17

    I seem to remember those units started in second gear when in the auto shift mode. You had to manually shift into first gear with the button on the loader control lever. I could be wrong?

  4. #4kyle sutton2018-01-11 08:00

    With the auto shift engaged it started in First and the only way to get it out of first is to manually shift it into second is to put it in neutral and shift to second and shut down the machine and disconnect the power let it sit for 30 seconds then turn power on and restart and it'll be in second gear but wont down shift or shift either way

  5. #5John C.2018-01-11 09:54

    I've worked on the earlier F models with the electric box at the base of the shift handle which would short inside the box or on the wiring harness but I think the H models were controlled by a computer. So how many hours are on the machine?

  6. #6kyle sutton2018-01-11 14:38

    Currently the machine has 16,812 hrs on it. Last summer one of our mechanics replaced the selector assembly and said it was fixed but from what the operator says it was never fixed at all

  7. #7John C.2018-01-11 20:16

    I think I would be checking the harness from the cab shifter down the steering column and back wherever it connects to a computer or transmission controller. In my experience I've seen the wiring harnesses break down starting around the 12,000 to 13,000 hour range. The fact that it does shift correctly once in awhile indicates that the computer is trying to do what it is being told. Also again from experience the computer will usually tell you it has a problem through fault codes. I'm not saying it can't be the brain just that with the information at hand I would be checking less expensive items first.

  8. #8kyle sutton2018-01-12 08:04

    whats kind of strange is while its in manual shift mode there's no lights but as soon as I switch it to auto shift 1-4 a warning light comes on but the computer says there is no active fault codes present or even logged for that matter. I was looking at it yesterday between times he was needed to run materials but when i get a chance today i will inspect the harness and connections if i can get it shut down for a bit. Thank you for the help i very much appreciate it