Renter was up planting corn last month, had a large Case tractor, very nice and quiet diesel engine. No clattering when revving up, etc. Said it's an Iveco engine. web search shows CaseNewHolland owns them. Good, bad ?
Never had a lot to do with them. Bought an overhaul kit once for a customer for one out of a 580 backhoe. I think it was a "M" submodel. Aftermarket had it and it wasnt to expensive. But as to reliability I would not have any input.
Iveco>New Holland> Fiat I think. The Iveco are apparently well loved in Europe, etc. I believe they're now built under the "FPT" brand.
Not bad engines, I have a customer who has a few. I had to have an injector pump rebuilt on one last year. It was pretty straight forward,except that it had tamper proof bolts holding the pump on. The ones you could see were easy enough, but some were female dogs to deal with. It took over a month to get some basic parts from CNH, though.
For most part been an really good Engine .
Judging by the amount of Iveco trucks on the highways of Europe all powered by their own engines it would appear that they aren't too bad.
Word in the pipeline says that in time, the Dodge-Cummins will be repowered with Iveco, they have a 5.9 with the same specs. Why would they keep buying Cummins engines.
Well, if they had the slightest clue about their customer base because owners love the Cummins? But that's not how corporations think. Example is the damage done to Chrysler by Daimler, every damn vehicle ended up looking like a WW2 german command car with Mercedes components... are we sure we won that war?
Yes, I figure any engine that runs as quiet as this one did can't be thrashing itself apart. My neighbor heard it as well (a diesel engine instructor/troubleshooter) and he remarked that the sound was electric motor like, even when powershifting, also no smoke ever.
Yeah I know a lot of people that buy Dodge because of the Cummins inside it. However, there is always the option to repower a Chevy, Ford, or even Toyota with a Cummins if one has the cash and the determination to do so.
Well, I've always bought Dodge, because I don't like working on my own equipment and for me they've been extremely reliable. (It's a quantum physics/Karma thing) if Dodge didn't have the Cummins I would probably stay with gas power.
What kind of cummins you run these days? The common rail 5.9? or still the injection pump type?
I worked on Iveco trucks when I first started. The truck would fall apart but the engine would just keep going. They used to start with the slightest flick of the key. The older engines were a great workhorse in my opinion anyway
I'm too poor for anything this century, personally still running a 5.9 12V mechanical, lol. Probably outlive me. Neighbor has a Dodge new enuff to require DEF. No damn way.
We run some Newholland 110/90 tractorsfrom the late 90s .An old fiat desighn with an engine to match . Even at 10k hours they would start of a smokealarm battery on a frosty morning but they roar like thunder . Have had engine trouble where a bad injector burnt the edge of a piston but the crankshaft is a savage weight as are the main bearing caps . I love them apart from their fondness for fuel at full power and their dry liners . I hate dry liners .
I would definitely like to still have a 12 valver, up this way the salt has taken most of the dodges of that vintage off the road...the old engines are probably still running in something down south though. Regards, Bob
We have a bit of salt air if you're not careful and morning mist around the clock some days, right on the coast, but we don't use salt on the roads. The old man (85) still running his '97 dually with a quarter million or so on the clock, he doesn't get around like he used to.... Mines about double that.