Does anybody know anything about these engines? Are they any good? HP rating? Parts availability? I’m looking at picking up an Iveco flatbed, and don’t know nothin’ about them. Google doesn’t show me anything, and of course the owner doesn’t know his butt from a hole in the ground. Thanks!
NVM. I can’t even find a dealer in the US. Not gonna do it!
AFAIK they were built under license by Iveco from Cummins 6BT design. I had one in a Eurocargo, motor was bulletproof, rest of truck was carp.
Based on the guy’s pics, that engine doesn’t look anything like a Cummins B. He said it’s a Fiat 5.9. I dunno man, I don’t need another headache. I thought it would make a cool little flatbed shop truck. I kinda dig the cab over. But I can’t even find a source for parts stateside. I read an article that said Iveco pulled out of the US some 15 years ago, and they’re just not around. Meh. I’ll take a pass on this one.
Iveco has something to do with FPT (Fiat Power Train) which is making big inroads in the industrial market the last few years. Other than that I can't say because I have not been excited about selling Italian stuff to my customers so I have generally shied away. But I wonder if you could get a parts catalog if you could order parts through an industrial dealer, which there are many.
The Iveco-Fiat engines are O.K., but their trucks are rubbishy, plasticky, full of breakable electronics, and will keep you poor with the cost of parts and downtime. Iveco are good for Europe, where the dealers are everywhere, OEM parts and aftermarket parts compete, and there's Iveco mechanics in every village. But for the U.S., I reckon you'd be best advised to let some other sucker pick up the problems. The 5.9L engine has no direct Cummins relationship, but it was developed from Cummins and Fiat engine technology. Cummins did go into a Joint Venture with IVECO and CNH in 1996 called EEA (European Engine Alliance), and that JV was to build a new range of 4, 5 and 6 litre engines. These engines were/are called the Tector engines, and Iveco still use them. They're built by FPT (Fiat Power Train). Cummins pulled out of the EEA Alliance in 2008, by buying Fiats 50% share in CDC (Consolidated Diesel Corp) and selling its share in EEA to Fiat.
Now THATS **** load of acronyms! Hah. Thanks
Well there you go, sorry for trying to sell you a bum steer. An acquaintance told me that and I took it on face value.
I used to see a lot of Iveco engines in the Fiat Allis line...........I've rebuilt several in the past many years ago. In the 80"s they were very strong and reliable. I can't vouch for them now.
Don’t sweat this man. I had trouble finding anything out at all. Ozdozer said they were in bed at some point. Even messing around on forums and such I read about OM, Fiat, Cummins, Ford even Mercedes in on this somehow. This thing is a mutt.
Iveco is the truck and bus building operation, and it simply uses the FPT line of engines, because Fiat has a shareholding in Iveco. Iveco was formed out of 5 European companies in 1975; 1. FIAT Veicoli Industriali (Fiat Industrial Vehicles - with headquarters in Turin) 2. OM (Officine Meccaniche - founded in 1899 in Milan as Società Anonima Officine Meccaniche, as a railway rolling stock manufacturer) 3. Lancia Veicoli Speciali (Lancia Special Vehicles - Italy) 4. Unic (France) - manufactured cars and trucks up until 1966, when it was taken over by Fiat 5. Magirus-Deutz (Germany) - builder of mostly fire trucks, and the line of air-cooled Magirus-Deutz trucks. Iveco went into a 52% majority partnership with Ford in Europe from 1986. In the mid-1990's the Ford tie-up got really murky, Iveco closed a number of Ford factories and gradually converted the name of all their trucking line to Iveco. Ford sold out of heavy truck manufacturing to Freightliner in 1997, and this obviously terminated the Iveco-Ford deal. However, a lot of the Iveco line kept the Ford cabins as they were gradually morphed into Iveco's. Iveco got out of the U.S. in 1991, but bought a majority shareholding in International Harvester (Trucks) of Australia in 1992. They still have the IHA factory - this factory has been building trucks continuously since 1949. However, the International Iveco truck line (originally designed by International Harvester Australia in 1972) has now ended production, and only Euro-design trucks are now sold by Iveco here. In 2011, Fiat Industrial was formed by amalgamating Iveco, CNH, and FPT Industrial. This corporate setup ran until 2021, when Iveco was then sold off by Fiat in a demerger, whereby Iveco was bought by a Netherlands-based holding company, and became Iveco Group N.V. CNH Industrial was also spun off in this deal and CNH Industrial is owned by a global investment company, which is largely controlled by the Agnelli family of Italy. In the corporate shuffles, FPT Industrial is now a subsidiary of Iveco Group N.V. Also, Iveco went into Joint Venture with the Chinese SAIC Hongyan Automotive Co around 2007, and SAIC have been building trucks in China, based on Iveco lines. However, Iveco have slowly been pulling out of China, and their share of the JV there is now down to about 9%.
Fun little fact about cnh. There parts cost more then caterpillar. The n844 used in there equipment is the same engine as a 3024 cat. I priced the same parts from both and cat was cheap on all the parts
Here is a moderately funny story. I was at a local logging/timber outfit that does alot of parts and outside sales. A Mack Midliner dump truck pulled up to get some things. Iveco made me think of that gem. Probably the last one still running in the US.
I had five Mack "Mid-Liner" trucks running car hauler duties and found them very reliable and dependable. All were CS-300P series with Renault BDSL-181 six speed manual transmissions.
I thought the general consensus was to stay away from the Renault/Mack Mid-liners due to very poor parts support. I came across that when looking for a diesel single axle dump truck. I bought a Hino and had the like new box transfered from a GMC 6500. The Hino was fantastic except not good for off road because of too high of 1st gear and reverse. I'd be going through clutches like candy.
All of mine were former contract mail hauler trucks. All but one came from the same prior owner so I had very good maintenance and repair history with them. The last one I purchased was from a private owner as a then new 4900 International I'd bought wouldn't stay out of the repair shop a month. I never tried to get anything aftermarket for these trucks at all and everything came from my servicing Mack dealer. Never any problems with parts support. I had 22', and 24' beds on all these and two had "Neway" air tag axles. The cabs were comfortable, quiet, and vision was very good going down the road and jockeying into position. I found them to be very good trucks myself. All were either 1989, or 1990. I never had anything more deeply involved than clutches and they were 13" Spicer type but branded "Valeo" coming from the Mack dealer. Driveline was also Spicer.