Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

J.Deere 544A oil in flywheel housing

steve931 ยท 2008-02-05 18:47

Does a John Deere 544A have a oil bath flywheel or is the rear main seal leaking. Thank's steve931:usa

Replies11
  1. #1bobin352008-02-06 18:27

    must be rear main leaking cause your loader has a driveshaft that runs from the engine to transmission is the oil black if so its rear main for sure

  2. #2steve9312008-02-07 07:59

    There is a bell housing that covers flywheel, the yolk for output shaft is outside bell housing,I need to know if this machine has a oil bath flywheel. Thank's anyway.

  3. #3bobin352008-02-07 16:07

    Sorry,no this engine has a "dry" flywheel

  4. #4steve9312008-02-07 22:21

    Thank you for you time I appreciate your reply. I thought this engine had a dry flywheel but was not sure,again thank's steve931

  5. #5bobin352008-02-08 05:56

    You also may want to closely inspect the rubber drine dampners behind the flywheel cover for rips etc.

  6. #6steve9312008-02-11 22:35

    I changed the rubber dampners on a 644 John Deere but I am not sure this 544 has the same system.I am going tomorrow and do some work on this customers 928 cat. I will take a closer look at the 544A again many thank's for your time.

  7. #7jughead2008-02-13 06:22

    while you are in there check the flywheel to crank bolts some of them go through the crank flange in to the crankcase and have to have a sealer on them.

  8. #8steve9312008-02-13 07:38

    Thank's for your time,that's a good tip.steve931

  9. #9dirtyboy2008-02-24 18:51

    Jd 544a Hey Steve931, How do you like your 544A ? I am looking at one to buy would like to know if there is anything special I should check before I buy it. It is pretty worn but it starts and moves. I will make it a project to repair for use on my property. Thanks

  10. #10Countryboy2008-02-24 22:14

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dirtyboy! :drinkup

  11. #11steve9312008-02-25 08:16

    The 544a is a good machine,parts are easy to find and used parts are available.The most expensive is the transmission, be sure to check it good.