Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

J Deere hydraulic hose inside boom leaking

jcolli ยท 2020-04-03 15:23

Have an old (1960's?) JD backhoe with a hydraulic line leaking inside the boom. It comes out the side near the end of the boom, attached with a nut. To replace the inside line, do I disconnect the far end nut, and then pull the line out through the bottom? Is there a trick to getting the new line back into the boom, and then getting the elbow to come out the hole in the side of the boom? Seems like you would need to run a snake through the boom. Ant ideas?

Replies1
  1. #1mg23612020-04-04 05:25

    Welcome to HEF jcolli ! There is no easy way, but that doesn't matter anyway because the tube is no longer available. You would either have to have one made or replace it with a hose which is what I do. I have reached up there with a pry bar and guided them through the hole in the side and I have used really thin mechanics wire run completely through the hose and fitting with the wire coming out the side hole to guide the fitting into place. Just make sure all the wire comes out when done. Does your tube connect to the elbow or is the elbow part of the tube? Depending on the serial number you could have one or the other. If it is part of the tube then you would need to acquire a 90 degree bulkhead fitting to attach the hose to.