Got a 160 excavator 2003 or 2004 model. Isuzu engine, 6100 hrs. Been loading dirt last few days. Let a "friend" come and load himself couple loads of dirt after hrs. Now it won't crank, Go figure. little history, Fuel shutoff solenoid has gone bad in the past so i replaced it once. It went bad shortly again. I just quit using it. I manually throttle it up and down and wedge a block of wood in it at desired throttle position. And I have a piece of rope hook up to manually kill the engine at the injection pump. Is this somehow all of sudden starting to affect the computer maybe and thats why it won't start. It turns over fine and tries to hit but won't stay running. Changed the fuel filters just to rule out quick obvious stuff. Cracked fuel lines at injector and it immediately had fuel squirting there. Engine is def. getting fuel. Any ideas?
Someone please help. Surely someone has and idea at least something i could try
Hi If you have jammed the throttle over and stop to run position manually and you are getting fuel at the injectors when cranking the engine on the starter it should go as the computer is not in control of the injection pump anymore you could try putting it in redundancy mode but i dont think that will change things for you. If the engine is in good condition ie the valve clearance and all is working as should and you have not had a blow up of the engine .we did get a few where we would slacken off the clamps on the injectors and re torque them down .other train of thought the turbo might be seized if it is you would get lots of smoke and wont run you could pull off the inlet and check to see if it turns ok and is nice and free (engine not running of course) I guess the fuel you have is not contaminated with any thing.
i really really appreciate the reply. I am currently in and out of shop working on it. As of today I cleaned screen that is inside of banjo nut just before fuel enters into primer pump. It was barely dirty but cleaned it and no change of problem. I am getting plenty of fuel to injectors. As you said the computer (stuff) is completely unhooked from injection pump, still won't crank. I haven't checked turbo yet but will do so shortly. One guy i talked to on phone said it sounds like my engine is under a load maybe via hydraulic pump. Let me try and explain how it runs.... When you turn the key it turns over and fires for literally .25 seconds then will just spin over until you let go of key, whole time while doing this there is a fair amount of black smoke. leading me to believe also that its getting plenty of fuel but...... i don't know that. I will go check turbo now but keep throwing ideas at me. What should injectors be torqued at and i will do that also.
Just wanted to update.......... Worked on it this morning. The turbo spun freely as it should. As I mentioned in above post I have a piece of rope tied to the kill lever on the injection so I could manually shut the machine off since the shutoff solenoid was bad. I had never disconnected the cable though that runs to the shutoff solenoid. Apparently while either pulling the rope to shut the machine off or maybe when the shutoff solenoid was trying to work it had the lever jammed in "kill position" . I considered that when problem first occurred and upon inspection found that the kill lever would move back and forth like it should. But apparently when you released the "string" the kill lever wasn't hardly going all the way back. It was just enough out the not allow engine to run but it was still getting fuel. which I guess is where I was getting black smoke. The way we finally found this out was, There is a big nut on top of injection kinda like and inspection hole or something. Took the nut off and you could see I guess the rail that traveled back and forth inside pump. Took a screwdriver and worked it and machine would throttle up and down and run like a champ, but would not work with external throttle lever. Kept playing around around disconnected the original cable that was connected to shutoff lever and I guess that freed it up and Bingo it cranked and everything worked as normal. As always it the simplest things. I just posted this so maybe if someone has this problem in the future maybe they will find this post and it will help. Keywords: zexel injection pump JCB Isuzu