I ran into a JCB backhoe this guys got and he says the tranny is bad. I ran it and it wont hardly move, it just lurches forward a bit and just stops. My question is: can it be fixed short of rebuilding or replacing the tranny? If it does need replaced or rebuilt completely what would one pay to have that done? Never had that problem before and i dont even know how they work let alone how to troublle shoot it. Also, are these good machines all around? Thanks By the way it is a 2000 model
Hey barklee, some info would help ,hrs on unit, is it 2wd or 4wd, does it have a power shift or shuttle with a 4 speed, cab unit or open rops, did you check the oil level in the shuttle ?. The last 214 that i fixed cost around $45.00 and the one before it was $4300.00 so there is alot of differant areas to check when someone says it's bad, could be elect low voltage to the f/r shifter or trans valve. I would change filter/clean screen and do some quick voltage checks at the trans valve, pressure check the trans test ports and go from there but be ready to spend some $$$$.
Its got a full cab, 4wd, shuttle with the four speed. Oil looked fine, didnt remove the filter. Who makes that trans? Seems like thats a common thing for jcb hoes?.... i have ran across 3 of them in the last couple years. Are they good machines despite the trans?
I have never owned a JCB but I have operated one several times. A 1995 214. What I have noticed compared to my JD 310D. Frame and swing sections of the hoe are massive. Machine rock solid on the road and in the pit. Engine is quiet. Backhoe controls (wobble sticks) are hard to operate, I need to sit on the edge of the seat to see out the back window. Loader visibility is also quite impaired compared to my Deere. Steering wise, JD 2.5 turns lock to lock, JCB seems about 10 turns but I'm sure is more like 4 or 5 and turning radius is large. I'm not saying you won't like it. Lots of guys do. Unfortunately you can't drive it to try things out. Good luck finding a good used machine. It's always a challenge.
The transmission is made by JCB. One of the differences between them and "the other guys." As far as issues, we have had very little transmission related trouble in the 6 years we have been a dealer. Unfortunately, I am not a service guy, so I can't tell you where to even begin as far as repair, but I'm sure if you describe the symptoms a little better, someone on here may be able to shed some light. Good luck!
hello i have a 1995 jcb 210s 4wd with shuttle trans the light and buzzer come on for trans pressure have changed trans fluid and filter and cleaned sump screen all clean. i am a new member looking for help thanks alex
Welcome Alex. If you go to JCB's website, www.jcbna.com , they have a dealer locator. I know there are many dealers in the northeast.
thanks i am already in touch with my local dealer they are stumped looking for outside owners/ repairmen for experiance with any issues with this problem thanks alex
i have a 1999 jcb 214s with approx 2400 hours it shifts into first and second fine but will no longer go into third and fourth once in a while it goes in does not slip but 99 percent of the time it wont go in does anyone know what a possible problem could be dealer said it could be electrical or possibly clutch packs but when it goes in its solid
Jasonw, I am assuming you have a power shift transmission. First check to make sure your battery voltage is >11 volts when this occurs. If it is lower the relays / transmission valves don't have enough energy to shift. Second, check to see if the layshaft relay is functioning. If it is going bad it will sometimes shift into 3rd/4th and sometimes not. Mine would work fine when cold but not after running for awhile. These are standard relays which can be obtained at any auto parts store so finding a replacement is not a big issue. One way to quickly check is to swap the layshaft relay with another in the relay panel. Hopefully your op. manuel has the correct layout so you can quickly answer this. If this isn't it then you will have to look elsewhere. I would suspect an electrical problem ahead of any mechanical or hyd. shift valve issue in the transmission. The shift lever / rotating switch can also be failing giving similar troubles.
check with the JCB dealer in Brentwood NH. same company as Watertown but the shop up in NH has cheaper hourly rate.....
JCB 214, cab, shuttle, 4x4 Transmission Problem Hi Barklee, I am buying a JCB with the same/similar problem. I am searching for more information on how to diagnose the transmission problem. Did you find a solution or more details for your JCB's transmission problem?
I also have a 214e, syn. shuttle. 4 wheel drive with trans. failure. My unit is a 2002 model. New filter, cleaned screen, new fluid etc. 3 times in 2 days. When it last worked it would not stay in 1st gear and slipped in any gear. It now blows the filter apart when started. I was told [by an independent repairman]there is another filter inside that may be clogged. Does anyone know where and how to access this filter? I have been quoted prices from $6,500 to $12,000 by different repairmen for an overhaul to answer your question on price.
There is a suction screen but no other seprate filter that I know of, the suction screen is located on the bottom Lh side and is accessed by 2 bolts holding an oval shaped plate approx 3in dia. Was there any metal in the filters? The sift tower bolts on with 4 bolts and comes off easily it has a ball socket that changes the direction of the lever if this ball is loose it may not fully engage a gear causing it to jump out. By removing the tower you can inspect the shift fork as well. Clutch pressures cold in neutral 9.7-12.8 @1000 rpm
as an owner/operator I never had any problems with the transmission or indeed any major components with the various JCB 3c, Sitemaster 3cx. A bullet proof work horse.
I have a 1997 sitemaster, it has jumped out of gear in the past but was a bad relay issue. They have relays for most functions so check electrical system first. Have had my machine for 10 years with no other issues, a good work horse.
Hi there, I have a JCB 214 4x4 1996, when I first start the Backhoe it runs just fine after 5 to 10 Minutes it almost want move forward or Backwards any more, maybe you can help me find out the problem. Thanks a lot in advance Bruno
I've owned my 215S3 1997 since 2001 ish. Has 7000 hrs now. Rear axle internals let go twice. !!!!! Expensive. and unexplained. Trans is fine, no problems. My sticks are stiff and hard to move as well. Never used to be that way. I'm thinking a hyd valve rebuild is in order. Engine redone at 5000hrs, wasn't too bad but wanted it out of the way. Elect problems are the big item. Relays in the side panel. Poor grounds. microswitches in the shuttle handle. I would suspect electrical for every problem first, try to rule that out. Good luck Ken
Hi there, any luck finding out the problem? I have a JCB 214 1996 4 x 4, the first 5 t0 10 minutes, it runs just fine after that it barely goes forth and back anymore, you have any Idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance Bruno
When you say it barely goes back and forth, elaborate. Strange noises? Does it seem like the trans is slipping, or something is locked up. Or not going into gear? more info please. Ken
Hello, I have a JCB 214 1996 4x4. the machine runs great the first approx. 10 minutes after that it has a hard time to move forth or back, what can that, no nice from the trans, it is in gear, it seems like the motor has a hard time to move the Backhoe, has it soothing to do with the breaks?
I have a 210s and jsut got a quote for $10,000 to rebuild it. They assumed a complete rebuild as quote before they'd even move forward.
1999 JCB 214 S 4X4 problems Dose anybody have any info on four wheel drive problems to a 1999 JCB 214 S. Only 2000 HRS. Everything else works fine. The switch in cab for two or four wheel drive dose light up when switched.
We used to pull the internal suction strainer and check for debris to determine what was failing if the external screw on filter blows apart its normally down to the pressure maintenance valve sticking or a we once had a bad batch of filters causing fluid loss through pin holes in the tin part of filter.need to put gauge on mainline pressure port and see what pressure is when you put into F or R you should see a drop in the pressure and then rise back to mainline again . You may have electrical issue we used to find relays getting hot and dropping out or the solenoids on the top of the gearbox if you have only one direction dropping out when they get warm cools down and works again you can swap the solenoid coils and test that and also to check electrical swap the wiring plugs over so as reverse is now forward and vise versa.If the transmission appears to be stuck in one direction possible clutch pack breaking up but would be seen as fiber in the oil strainer in behind the two bolts oval plate .Some boxes used a plastic piston in the clutch packs which if the trans cooler fails and antifreeze attacks the piston causing swelling and jamming .if you have slipping it could be clutch packs or seals on shafts breaking the little blue rings usually get destroyed when bearings start failing.if its a syncro shuttle its quite a simple box to repair a powershift has just a few more clutch packs in it and more solenoids but a sequence of solenoid coils to get the correct gear config. Have seen a few clutch baskets break on the friction weld to the shaft but usually noise and debris in the oil.hope this might help i used to work for a jcb dealer 4wd issue possible solenoid on the gear box or the clutch pack / Bellevue washer unit as there are two different types around that age of machine check you have power to the solenoid on the 4wd hub unit
Great info Jeff:thumbsup Mine was redone before I bought it, he said it was in the $8000 range. What year is your machine, kcmc.
I have a 214 series 3 in the Bahamas. That stopped moving, forward or backwards. Has a filter on side i of gearbox which was leaking fluid. Removed the strainer, via 2 bolts and cleaned, nothing in it, replaced filter. Filled with fluid and away we went. Perhaps I was lucky!!! Check electrics first, they are know to be a problem....Light and buzzer could be the sender just above the filter..??
How did you come out on your transmission? Did you find out the problem?
Did you ever figure out what was going on with your machine? I am having similar issues on my 96 model as well.
Hi I have a 1998 jcb 214t backhoe and I'm having trouble with the oil ring blowing out around the oil filter and it pumps out all the transmission fluid out . What would possibly cause this to happen?
That sounds like there is some kind of blockage, but are we talking oil filter for the engine or transmission? Either way, the filter should be bypassing if compromised.