Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 214E Backhoe…loader control buttons?

jkearney19 · 2020-09-08 18:44

Hello All, I have a new to me backhoe, it is a 2000 model JCB 214E 4x4 with cab. machine runs great and I have no complaints. The question at hand is about the control lever for the loader, I have two buttons on the knob itself, one is the transmission dump however the other I can't seem to pinpoint the function. I though maybe it was a temp 4x4 button for driving into a pile but nope. The machine is a 214 series 3 two wheel steer 4x4 with cab and extendaboom, regular loader bucket. P.S. I'm pretty sure with the key on engine off I can hear a relay clicking with the button, I could pull all the relays until I find the one but was hoping someone would know. Thank you

Replies6
  1. #1LN Pipeline2020-09-08 20:07

    It’s probably your Hydraulic Speed Control. There’s a solenoid on the loader valve block that dumps half your hydraulic flow back to the tank, which puts less load on the engine and gives you a little more power to the wheels. There should be a switch with a turtle on it that does the same thing.

  2. #2jkearney192020-09-08 20:13

    thats very interesting I will have to try that out. I know the turtle switch works I have noticed the hydraulic speed difference when on. so the idea being that if your driving into a pile it would give you more driving force by reducing pump load on the engine?

  3. #3LN Pipeline2020-09-08 20:36

    Yeah, that’s the idea. The button on the loader is for going into a pile, the turtle switch is for going down the road so you don’t have to hold the button down.

  4. #4aighead2020-09-09 08:16

    I don't know much but could it be for a horn? My backhoe controls have a horn button on them... Toot Toot!

  5. #5csthompson122020-09-09 08:41

    Yes should be hydraulic speed control. Hit the button as the loader is raising, and you should see it slow down..

  6. #6jkearney192020-09-09 16:02

    Yes You guys are correct. That is a HSC button on the loader control. thank you very much for all of your help