Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 214S Powershift Transmission issues

hatorade ยท 2020-03-17 01:00

Machine serial #SLP214FCVE0460737 year? Here is the story, I purchase this 214S yesterday,-everything except transmission works no forward reverse nothing. crazy good deal but no support, no information just doesn't move thats it. (Ps I own and have owned a 1994 214S for about 8 years I had to remove that transmission and renew the pump and the plates but the actual problem was a broken weld between the clutchpacks.) New machine -I drained oil checked screen perfectly clean both, tiny amount of dust I guess you could call it on magnet of Plug. Did not remove filter. ps torque converter spins with engine running. -While doing that noticed the Transmission pressure switch Ground wire was cut, closer inspection looked like it got hot or something had no insulation on it for about 2 inches. I used a piece of wire spliced it. had my son check the light in the dash with just the key on it comes on, if you jump it with wire goes off. but while running stays on all the time, meaning no pressure. -On further inspection this transmission has only 5 solenoids instead of 6(7th is 4X4 Solenoid and it works) & found 2 wires were cut. #851 which my shop manual says is for Mainshaft. and #600something(600 i know is ground/earth) I went through every single other wire and I have power to every solenoid Except #851 and when i put the #600 with and ohm meter to ground i get some resistance. -I located Reverse High, Reverse Low, Layshaft, Forward High, Forward Low. Like i said I have no power or solenoid on #851. I have an extra valve and solenoid i can put on there. My question. Is there any ELECTRICAL reason that this transmission could or would not move in any gear when it is getting power to the clutch packs (ps everywire gets 11 volts)? As i said there is no power to mainshaft but in first gear forward- (forward low & Layshaft) I get nothing and i mean wheels off the ground in any gear revved up not even a little movement in tires. Next question where do I find #851 and tie onto it again or find the wire for the mainshaft and bring it down to the transmission. My shop manual may be too old to cover this machine or I am just not understanding where to find the wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Sorry for the run on description. Where do i test?

Replies29
  1. #1hatorade2020-03-17 01:04

    Machine Tag, 2nd is Tag on Transmission

  2. #2skata2020-03-17 03:56

    Did you check the switches on the parking brake and clutch pedal? Those switches cut power to the trans.

  3. #3jcb jeff2020-03-17 09:00

    Are you testing between the terminals on the plugs at transmission or one pin and a ground somewhere else.

  4. #4hatorade2020-03-17 11:34

    No i havn't because i was getting 11 Volts from the wires to the actual solenoids on the Transmission. I am unsure how the parking brake or the loader cutout switch work but i would think it would have to cut power?

  5. #5hatorade2020-03-17 11:56

    I have tested both ways and it seems to work either way i still get 11 volts.

  6. #6hatorade2020-03-17 12:03

    Solenoids

  7. #7hatorade2020-03-17 12:19

    I just got this from a parts guy I am totally confused, how do they power mainshaft?

  8. #8hatorade2020-03-17 13:21

    For anyone just joining or to the people who have already replied I thought i should reiterate my goal. I am trying to Rule Out the possibility of some electrical issue. If you or anyone has ever worked on JCB's (I love them) you had better take the time to rule out electrical or you can waste a lot of time. The transmission low pressure warning light stays on all the time. and there is zero movement from the wheels even up in the air. It could be a torque converter failure or pump failure like i said trying to make sure before i remove transmission its not a electrical problem. Thanks again!

  9. #9skata2020-03-17 15:02

    Do you know approximate year? I could give you a 509-42 telehandler manual if you give me your email.

  10. #10skata2020-03-17 15:05

    .

  11. #11skata2020-03-17 15:07

    Loosen the pressure switch and briefly start machine to see if you get fluid coming out.

  12. #12hatorade2020-03-17 15:36

    I will try lossening that this afternoon. I have asked 2 different part companies what year my machine is from the serial number all they said was its newer than 1997, from what i gather its either a 2000 or a 2004- SLP214FCVE0460737. I actually own a shop/repair manual that covers my 1994 JCB 214S, but it doesn't cover anything about only having 5 solenoids. I talked to a service guy and he told me that with the setup with 5 solenoids that the Mainshaft is selected in default like a spring and that whent the solenoid layshaft is power it overcomes the spring on mainshaft shifts it to layshaft so only 5 solenoids. It seems more like it is a torque converter or pump failure the light indicates no pressure but since i didn't see any shavings in the oil or strainer I thought I need to rule out any electrical possiblity before pulling the transmission. I actually have pressure guages as well but i don't have any way to convert to BSP fittings unless i order something. Im still not sure if i have ruled out the parking break switch or the loader transmission release switch. im not sure how or what they do exactly.

  13. #13skata2020-03-17 16:17

    The parking brake, clutch pedal have switches that cut the power to the trans solenoids. which one ? Not sure. Some machines also have a button on the loader control to disengage the trans. And those switches are usually connected to a relay. Not sure how yours is setup.

  14. #14skata2020-03-17 16:19

    You can buy a manual on ebay for cheap. Search "jcb 214 manual' and most sellers will give you a download link.

  15. #15hatorade2020-03-17 22:59

    In the process of removing this transmission and I pulled the filter as part of the removal it is completely and totally dry like Never had oil in it. I bought this from a dealer who took it as payment for a debt and they never worked on it, because the customer never paid for previous work... long story short I now have it, and it seems someone has removed the transmission recently probably put it back in and nothing worked.. My question is it possible the torque converter is not pumping? Anyway to test? How to check level of oil?

  16. #16skata2020-03-17 23:17

    From my car transmission rebuild experience, it's not the torque converter that pumps fluid. The torque converter engages a fluid pump on the end of the transmission. Slightly possible that it may just need a prime? Prefill the filter and the inlet if possible. Long shot though... How much fluid did you put back in after you drained it? It should take 4 to 5 gallons if i remember correctly.

  17. #17hatorade2020-03-18 02:29

    Update I got the transmission out and the torque converter tabs were sheared off. I don't think the original owners removed it I think they changed the oil and that was it. I tried to show a pic but it couldn't spin the pump

  18. #18jcb jeff2020-03-18 03:46

    Yes common to loose drive tabs that drive charge pump. Make sure the flexi drive plate has not got stress cracks from the bolt holes and that the spigot is ok. You will need to set the torque run out when you refit it back in to prevent leaks and failures. Need to replace charge pump as well but need to find the parts that have come off as to speak whole or in bits. When you put it back together fit the torque into the gear box and then install gearbox upto the engine and bolt flexi to flywheel.

  19. #19skata2020-03-18 13:45

    What would cause this

  20. #20hatorade2020-03-18 16:44

    I removed the gear pump and took a closer look, I can't tell if the gear pump failed and then sheared the tabs off the torque converter or the torque failed and cuased the gear pump to fail but here is a picture tabs still seem to be somewhat in tact, the gear pump internal gear has broken and separated. I am ordering a new torque converter and gear pump. I guess I don't know how to set the torque run out? could you explain please? Is mounting it to the transmission first what you mean by run out?

  21. #21jcb jeff2020-03-19 03:55

    When you fit the new charge pump make sure you get it in the correct position and new copper washers are used as well as torqued correctly. These might help!!

  22. #22hatorade2020-03-19 11:48

    Thanks! thats exactly what i needed to know!

  23. #23jcb jeff2020-03-19 12:12

    Your Welcome!

  24. #24hatorade2020-05-10 16:17

    Update its all back together and running great... I have an unrelated question, I have been looking at newer JCB 4CX machines and I have come across a couple models in the 2010-2012 range and they list them as 4CX14EC can you tell me what the "EC" Stands for? Or anyone?

  25. #25skata2020-05-11 01:04

    Could it be jcb 'easy control'? Or in other words, pilot controls ?

  26. #26hatorade2020-05-11 11:41

    Possibly but later versions with pilot controls don't have the EC model # I have searched online but no luck yet.

  27. #27skata2020-05-11 13:14

    Enclosed Cab? Lol Maybe just call a dealer and ask...

  28. #28Tinkerer2020-05-11 13:21

    I am fairly certain it is the extend-a-hoe version.

  29. #29kapisa2025-03-23 22:28

    do u have a picture of your backhoe, i have a 214s 4x4 it does not go in any gear but starts up fine.. ads.