Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 512-56 DEF

Coach83 ยท 2026-09-13 11:38

Hello. The DEF in my JCB has been in the machine for at least 17 months. Sometimes I get a warning and sometimes I don't. I'm wondering if that could be related to a low battery, because I recently charged the batteries and now I don't have a warning? Any input there would be appreciated. The main purpose for this post here is this: from what I read DEF should not be in the machine for more than a year. So I plan to drain the tank and I'm wondering if I should put some distilled water in there as a rinse, or just put the new DEF in? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Replies3
  1. #1Mr. Wrench2026-09-14 08:44

    I have not worked on many JCBs so I don't know much about them. I would look at the DEF fluid and see if it is clear. Than test it with a refractometer to see if it is close to 32.5 %. I would change the fluid anyway no matter what the % is. If it is not off real far, just drain the tank and fill the tank full with fresh fluid to dilute any still in the system. Run the machine for awhile to get it circulated through the system. The DEF sensor would be in the DEF header. I don't know that the battery would be the problem but keep it up and work the machine, than see what happens.

  2. #2Coach832026-09-14 13:38
  3. #3Coach832026-09-14 13:38

    Thank you. Since posting that yesterday I have been leaning toward doing what you suggest. I appreciate it.