Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 8080ZTS Spool valve location for the dipper arm

blcbob666 ยท 2013-08-31 05:00

Hi Guys I have a 2007 JCB 8080ZTS is there anyone that can tell me the location of the Valve that operates the dipper arm. machine starts and runs fine with plenty of power but the dipper arm will not go out . it pulls in no problems. JCB will not provide me with the information and I need to check the spool valve for contamination as this machine has had a damaged ram at one point. it is fitted with a 9 spool system. I don't want to pull every spool valve apart as I cant be doing with guessing. as there are plenty of pipes in the way . Regards jim

Replies16
  1. #1eamon2013-09-05 18:56

    Hijim, Looking at the spools from the rear of the machine, on far right you should have a large metal pipe coming down, this in your breaker circuit,then boom circuit, then dipper circuit. To check the rams, seals etc.... Swop the 4 boom and dipper pipes, this should get isolate other things. If your spilting down the ram remember there is a peg under the piston seals to remove from unscrewing the piston. Hope this helps

  2. #2eamon2013-09-05 19:02

    Sounds like either seals or cracked piston.

  3. #3blcbob6662013-09-07 06:36

    Hi Eamon Ive done the swap with the 4 pipes and the Ram works good so the ram is OK. could it be the controller itself as before the boom now as it is swaped goes up but will not come down. and is there a way of checking this. Thanks for the Info mate you got me part the way out of trouble. just got to try and solve this last bit . I have already checked the spool valves and they are OK but I did find a little bit of swarfe in the small control line pipe the bottom one of the valve block.

  4. #4eamon2013-09-07 06:52

    Hi Jim, On the top side of the valve block swap over the pilot control pipes ( from the control leavers) This will let you if its the pilot valve at the leavers or the valve block. If it in the valves then i'm no expert, but i can point you in the right direction, hopefully it is some muck at the valve but the question is where has it come from? have you be using a breaker or another attachment?

  5. #5blcbob6662013-09-07 11:33

    Hi Eamon This machine came into us its an EX A plant machine. we have two one is going well with no problems. but I noticed as soon as I unloaded this one that the dipper arm Ram was bent. the machine seemed to work OK but the dipper kept on going out on its own Due to the bend. had the ram refurbed . fitted it to find it would not go all the way outwards it tries but only moves about a foot and very slow. but would pull in hard and OK. so I have been on a bloody mission ever since . had all the pipes off the valve block and checked the pressure valves but all seemed OK. no crap in any of them but I did find some swarf in one of the valve chambers so removed the complete piston as it was a bit sticky. cleaned it out put it back and the dipper arm worked for about 10 minutes then went back to not going out. Hence the reason I needed to check the Ram. and thanks to you I have now ruled this out. So I think now the problem could be the controller or a blocked pipe. Regards Jim

  6. #6eamon2013-09-07 16:57

    Hi Jim, if the rod has been bent, then its probably scored the barrel, hence the bits of metal. It may be worth changing the filter asap(cut open to see inside), however I would wait abit to change the oil as there may be more bits, only a week or two. Have you managed to swap to the pilot lines around yet? if so what happened?/

  7. #7blcbob6662013-09-07 17:34

    Hi Eamon no I have not had a chance to swap the pilot lines around as yet .. back in the yard on Monday. yer you could have a point on that Rod but it seems to be nice and free sliding now. for some reason this machine has a spare valve slice on the end next to the hammer circuit its all blanked off . im thinking of plumbing into it if I have problems with the other one. but I will check that filter and make sure those pilot pipes and controls are clear first. what do you think about using that spare slice. Regards Jim

  8. #8eamon2013-09-07 17:46

    Hi Jim, Not sure about the spare slice, I will have a look too on Monday to see if all the same. I cannot see anything wrong in using the spare, but could it be the end of valve bank, as the breaker lines are a lot bigger. If ram has been done then nothing to worry about there. bloody hell!!, the suspense is killing me. Let us know when you swap line around.

  9. #9blcbob6662013-09-07 18:38

    Hi Eamon I will let you know what happens Thanks for all the help so far . its been a bloody nightmare trying to get the information. and you can forget asking my local JCB agent they were not helpful could not even give me the location for the dipper arm slice. yer I know what you mean about the the extra slice at the end of the block. just thought if all else fails then at least ive got a way out. Regards Jim

  10. #10blcbob6662013-09-10 17:23

    Hi Eamon Ive swaped the pilot pipes and found no difference. I I have plumbed into the end spare slice and found that the dipper arm works ok but not very fast . also found that the Ram has no power and is making a noise when under load like the oil is bypassing the seal so I have swapped the ram from another machine. And now it seems to have plenty of power but still seems a little slow. could this be the pressure settings on the control valves. anyway its a lot bloody better than it was. looks to me like this ram has been faulty all along so im going to send it back to where it was repaired. Maybe its scored up inside and that's where all the metal bits have come from. Regards Jim

  11. #11eamon2013-09-14 14:30

    Hi Jim, I had a look at our 8080 but we don't have any spare slice to use????? Any luck on the ram, have you not tried to open up the rod for your self?/

  12. #12blcbob6662013-09-14 16:48

    Eamon The Ram has gone back to the tosser who recons he fixed it in the first place. should be back on Thursday when I will refit it. I have replaced the filter but the old one was not that bad. I may re plumb the pipes to the correct slice and try it again. why he never pressure checked it god only knows. but now he is going to re tube it as its scored. that's where all that **** came from that I found in the slice like you said. so that's where we are up to..Small job made worse by people not doing there job properly. I will let you know what happens would have been worse without your help .. so cheers for that I owe you a drink.

  13. #13eamon2013-09-14 17:19

    glad to help, and hope it solves your problem. I suppose that's what this forum is all about. People help us, we help them. it works. I prefer to open up our rams so it know what they have to do, the hard part is usually taking off the ram. And yes I have been ****ed over before by the ram people.

  14. #14eamon2013-10-03 19:10

    Any luck jim?

  15. #15blcbob6662013-10-09 13:59

    Hi Eamon. Its all going OK. but I have had to use the end spare slice. the ram has had a second set of seals fitted .apparently the steel washers were spilt.. not sure about this as I did not take it apart. But how he missed this the first time who knows..i did return the pipework back to the original slice but this did not work so I can only say this must have an internal problem. but It works fine plumbed into the spare one so that's where I left it. end of one problem Now I have a 2010 Terex TV1200 Roller that does not vibrate to sort out. any info is welcome if you have any.. cheers mate Regards Jim

  16. #16niki2014-05-21 18:44

    hi, did you fix your 8080 regards nick