Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jcb backhoe hydrolic issues

mrkmiller816 ยท 2023-12-16 17:45

my 1400b has broken pump shaft, how can i raise the bucket to access area to remove shaft and possibly pump?

Replies5
  1. #1tommo772023-12-17 06:59

    There should be a round access port on the side of the engine cowling.

  2. #2Coytee2023-12-18 10:35

    If your 1400b is the same as my 1550b then I'd approach the round access port VERY carefully. I had always thought that it was an access hole to the pump.... one day, I decided I was going to take the panel off to clean it out a bit in there.....got to unbolting things. I actually should say I started to LOOSEN the bolts, I didn't remove any of them. I then noticed a gasket. Looks like the hydraulic tanks ride the sides of the radiator and this gets you access to the innards of the tanks so if you wanted to replace the tank screen (something I've bought to do so it's sitting on my shelf waiting for me) you DRAIN tank, take access cover off, exchange old screen for new one.... reassemble and refill. I'd be really careful taking the sides off without looking closer. My take is the only way to do this is through the nose. Leave bucket on ground. Take engine covers off, remove hydraulic cooler....remove radiator (after draining of course) and now, with those out of the way, you should have access to the pump. I've not been in there for guessing 10 years so above is from memory. I rooted through the service manual (PDF) that I have.....I'll admit, I didn't see anything that said the round side covers did in fact, have oil behind them and I've never had them off. I just know that I've got a strainer inside the tank and that's the only way I can see to access it. Mine works fine but, I've been wondering about rebuilding the hydraulic pump. I've done the pump and motors on my hydraulic mower.... so now know it's not rocket science.

  3. #3casey5182023-12-20 21:48

    You might be able to remove the shaft from underneath the machine? The pump from the front through the grill. you could raise the bucket with another machine if it is in float, but I would not recommend it.

  4. #4casey5182023-12-20 22:02

    If you have the Brown/Hamworthy pump, seals & plates will be very hard to find. Hopefuly its a Parker.

  5. #5Coytee2023-12-21 13:36

    I loosened my shaft from underneith to put a new belt on (alternator?) Been long time. I'd say yes, he would have access to remove the shaft.... don't know about the pump as I didn't have that on my mind when I was messing with it. Certainly no "easy" way of getting it out. I also have a 15' flexwing mower that is hydraulically powered (Parker motors). I rebuilt the three moters on each blade set and the pump up front. Was simple enough.... Only ones I've ever done so have no idea what the other brands might bring. That said.... just thinking of elbow room and access to the right angle to remove something.... I'd probably give it a 15 minute try from underneith.... and be quick to change to the front of the machine. I already know mine is an oily mess in there as I had an oil leak (now fixed) but I never power washed the inside when I fixed things. If it came out easy peasy, then going from under would be fine. If it fought me at all, I'd just go through the front as now I have elbow room and better access PLUS no chance of it falling on my pretty face and mucking it up (the pump, not the face lol)