Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb engine slow to accelerate

skata ยท 2019-08-05 16:35

I looked at a 6 year old jcb telehandler with 2000 hours. Jcb 4.4 engine. Auction machine so I didn't get to look at it a whole lot. It started great and idles great. No smoke. With no load and just pressing the pedal down, it just seemed the engine should have revved up faster than it did. It acted like I slowly pressed the accelerator down. Any ideas? I'm looking to buy this machine.

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2019-08-05 16:51

    I'm not even going to guess with something that new. Does it show any codes? I'd be more concerned if it didn't have power. Does it drive in top gear? any hills to test it? maybe use the brakes for a few seconds in top gear?

  2. #2skata2019-08-05 17:24

    I didn't really get much time with it. It is sitting in yard burried with other equipment around. Only started it and moved boom.

  3. #3tool_king2019-08-09 22:37

    What is full model number and serial number of forklift ? There was a ecm update to prevent the engine reving up real fast in cold weather . It would time you for 1 min from when engine was stated to limit you from reving it to allow turbo to get oil.

  4. #4skata2019-08-09 22:55

    It's a 2012 jcb 509-42. I ended up buying it. Will be delivered next week. I'll update after I actually run it for a bit. And you may be right. Machine was cold and I only ran it for a minute.

  5. #5skata2019-08-16 02:30

    got the machine. i think you were right about the cold start limit. machine runs great.

  6. #6tool_king2019-08-20 18:02

    That is great machine is working. The only way you would know is to hook laptop to it and look a the settings.

  7. #7skata2019-08-20 18:17

    Besides the dealer, are there any options to clearing codes on these machines? I pressure washed the machine, and I guess water got in some connectors and I got a few axle stabilization codes. Then i got a message on the display that code memory is full. How can I clear that? Also still get a 'sway spool switch fault - short circuit' code anytime I use sway function. I guess I have to check connections for water intrusion.

  8. #8tool_king2019-08-21 00:41

    I will take look a look at the book . If I remember right you should be able to clear them .