Hello, I have a JCB model JS220LC it was working fine in the morning for a while without noticing any problem, then I shut it down for just 2 minutes, try to restart it. It appears dead - turning the ignition key will see the EMS (Electronic Monitoring System) display flashes for a fraction of second (everything lights up then immediately off). Turning the ignition key further to crank (position II) will hear the normal sound of the engine cranking but the engine just does not start. Initially, I suspect it might be a battery problem, but tested both batteries are good, 12.7v, and 12.8v. Then I checked each fuse on the fuse panel. All fuses tested good. The service manual says there is a LIMP MODE SWITCH behind the seat it will allow start to move the machine. I found there is a key switch near the JCB service port (not sure if this is the correct switch) - I turned the switch and crank the engine, the engine still does not start. https://i.ibb.co/HqsDPWd/20200905-130407.jpg This JCB JS220LC has machine hour about 4660 hours. Several weeks ago the "Service Required - Change Engine Oil" came on the EMS display. I ignored that because the last engine oil change performed 125 hours ago. The JCB manual says oil change interval can be 250 hours if using low sulphur diesel. My diesel supply says their fuel is ultra-low diesel and that's the only type of diesel available in USA now. The JCB service manual says with ultra-low diesel, the oil change interval at 500 hours. This JCB JS220LC excavator is a 2012 year model, with serial number: 2068828. Can someone help me, please?
Good day Joe When you explain it does not start but does the motor crank? Kind regards Uffex
Yes, the motor cranks but engine doesn’t start.
Hi Joe If the engine is not smoking when you crank take a look at the stepping motor to see if it shifts the pump rack. Kind regards Uffex
I don't know JCB at all, but with those symptoms on the "dashboard", I'd be looking at the wiring connections to your ecm or whatever controls the engine. If you don't find anything obvious, check the power supply and grounds with a multimeter to see if the power and ground are where they're supposed to be.
First thing I'd check is the ignition switch. Does wiggling it get the computer to stay on? Then inspect wiring and grounds.
What engine is in it the older 6bg1 or the common rail 4hk1 or the newer jcb engine?
I checked all fuses, and all are good. Relays are also checked out all good. The engine is ISUZU 16-valve engine My Engine Type is 4HK1-DXIAA-01-C2 My Engine Serial: 4HK1XYSJ02486371
The same problem re-appeared several days ago with my 2012 JCB JS220LC. The EMS (electronic monitoring system) or dash has no display. Turning the ignition key cranks the engine, but the engine does not fire up. When the ignition key is turned, the EMS flashes for a fraction of a second then it goes all blank. The only difference is that this time the engine suddenly stopped while it was traveling (rather than manually shut down). The last time this occurred, I ran some diagnoses without finding any problems. After several days, the engine started fine after the machine was left under the sun. Since then, this JS220LC excavator has worked all fine for about two years. Now the same problem occurred again. One red LED on top of the Emergency Stop button on the facial switch panel lit up when the key is on (whether cranking or not). Pressing the "Emergency Stop" button has no effect on the red LED, it stays on as long as the ignition key is ON. I tried to LIMB mode (redundancy switch), but cranking the engine does not start. The batteries are good and fully charged. I already have two different technicians come to check out this machine. The first technician checked fuses, batteries, and the fuel lifting pump were all good. When the ignition key is on, the fuel lifting pump has output. But he found the high-pressure fuel pump to the engine has no output. This means the engine is not getting fuel to get fired up. The second technician came and spent several hours and said the dash display likely had gone bad. I'd like to get some help verifying whether the dash display has gone bad. Can anyone share any documentation on this dash display? JCB part# is 332/K4244 I wanted to find out from where this dash display gets power, what voltage, and the wiring connector pin-out. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
I see those displays on ebay for around $600. Though I'd think your problem may be something else. Start with the key switch. Do you have a manual? If not, there are sellers on ebay that have them cheap, in pdf format.
It took 2.3 years to check the fuses and relays?
That problem, engine cranks but no start, first appeared over 2 years ago, it went away mysteriously. I don't remember if I checked fuses or relays at that time, I probably did. The same problem re-occurred again several days ago. This time I checked fuses and relays, and I already have 2 technicians who came on separate dates and tried but without any success.
an update - I have made some progress today - After swapping some relays, I have the LCD EMS panel display back as usual. I was able to start the engine (Isuzu 4HK1) with the redundancy switch ON. So I moved the excavator (traveled on limp mode on its own power) to a better location to continue the diagnosis. Does this mean the diesel engine itself is okay, and the problem is somewhere else? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L5T_5iEpxFg
Before replacing the monitor I would check power, ground, and CAN resistance at the monitor. Rule out possible harness or connection issues. You can back probe the connector at the monitor I should be at least a ground, power with ignition and possibly battery power. You can also test across the can wires will be the two twisted wires There may be more than one set of can wires but if you check across them you should get resistance value 60/120 Ohm. You can look up how to check CAN high/ low and what the resistance values will tell you if you get no resistance reading from them you could have an open in the CAN circuit or bad termination resistor. If this problem has been intermittent or come and gone in the past probably more likely a problem in a connection or harness rather than the monitor itself.
Better start by testing all the ground connections, Battery connections to fuse panel and computer power supply for voltage drop. Maybe you will find a loose connection or corroded connection somewhere. Good to test power to Key switch for voltage drop along with power to fuel solenoid . Are any of the receptacles for the relay with loose terminal to relay spades. Have seen some of these in the past along with loose fuse when plugged in the terminal connector. Hope you find the Gremlin. Simon C
I think I am getting closer to finding the root cause of the problem. Using JCB ServiceMaster PC connected to the diagnosis port, I get error code: 133, The service manual shows the following for code 133: "133 ISOL The hydraulic isolator solenoid is open-circuit." Now I am trying to locate this solenoid and test its wiring and functionality. Does anyone know how this hydraulic solenoid is supposed to work? Lock hydraulic controls from the joystick? From the JCB "Operators Manual" about the isolator: And how this hydraulic solenoid is supposed to work on an excavator, and why it prevents the engine from getting started?
That doesn't sound like it would cut the power completely from the ECU and screen though?
I had the EMS display back to normal several days ago, and it's been stable since then. Engine can be started with LIMP Mode switch on, and excavator travels and hydraulic works, but engine no start if LIMP switch is at off (normal) position. No fault code most of the testing time today, except I got one time 133 fault code today. it seems fault code seems not persistent, because I ran several tests, I got this fault code just one time, other times no fault code.
So it looks like that solenoid is probably your pilot enable. And the reason it’s starting is because you’re overriding the signal for that solenoid with the limp mode switch you may have an open in the wiring from the ECU to the solenoid and the switch is overriding that or an issue in the ECU. It’s almost like a neutral safety signal from the computer not to let it start because it doesn’t know if the pilot controls are enabled yet or not.
The root cause of the problem has been found, and the issue has been fixed - it was a relay that had gone bad - the Emergency Stop Relay. This relay is normally energized whenever the ignition key is on (or the engine is running). The energized relay opens the circuit that feeds 24V to the ECM ENGSTOP pin. This relay gets de-energized whenever the Emergency Stop button is pressed on the fascia panel. The fault of this relay means it did not get energized, and the engine ECM ENGSTOP pin remains fed with 24V, so the engine doesn't want to start. It took me a while to physically locate this relay. Only after I learned that each wiring in the JCB excavators is imprinted with a wire number, it made the relay hunting a lot easier.
Now, I wonder why the relay problem was not discovered earlier by the 1st nor by the 2nd technician who came later two times. The first tech says he swapped the relays, and all checked out - as he says swapping relays did not make any difference. The 2nd tech (mobile tech from the JCB dealer) I don't know how he checked, but when I asked him where can we find the Emergency Stop Relay on the machine, he told me all my relays are good. None of us ever used a relay tester. I have a relay tester, but that one tests 12v relays only. The problem went away after I replaced the suspected relay.
It’s amazing what research and a little bit of the correct information can do for us. There’s nothing like chasing your tail on some issue, follow it through and repair it to gain new knowledge and experience. Glad you were able to get it going Joe.
Have a lc 220 doing this same thing can u tell me what area this relay is in or where it’s located
Js 220lc with the same 4x engine
Most electrical relays are in the backside of the driver seat, where the fuse panel is located.