Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB proximity steering switches

Therapydoc · 2018-12-21 17:52

Does anyone have knowledge of the proximity steering switches on backhoes with articulated and crab steering modes? Long story short I attempted to adjust the proximity switches per the manual but they do not light up at any time. I tried the key in the run position and I also tried with the backhoe running and I cannot get the front or rear to light up. Is this likely LED proximity lights or is there a way to check electrical continuity down at the switch to see if I’m getting any current? I currently drive like a 1982 ford bronco that went off roading all the time and never got an alignment. Let’s just say crooked is straight for me right now. Haha

Replies3
  1. #1franklin22018-12-22 08:35

    How many wires are going to the proximity switches? I am familiar with these in industrial applications, not necessarily backhoe applications, but I would not think they would try and re-invent the wheel. There are usually two types, a 2 wire type and a 3 wire type. The 2 wire type will have power on one of the wires, and the load will be on the other wire. The prox switch "robs" a slight amount of the power going through it to run the brains inside. The 3 wire type will have power and ground, and the third wire will be the signal wire, which may be normally open or normally closed.

  2. #2Therapydoc2019-01-03 20:22

    Sorry for the delay. I finally got time to crawl back under the machine. They are 3 wire systems. Hard to get to the wires to test but can you tell me what color wire does what? Does anyone know the testing procedure to determine if front is bad or rear is bad? As in in 4ws steer mode does the front or rear or both switches have to be working ? When switching modes does the led light work on front and rear or just certain ones in certain modes ?

  3. #3franklin22019-01-04 16:47

    What color wires do you have? Industry standard is Brown is the + power, blue is the - power, and the other wire will be the signal wire (usually black).