Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jcb3c111

starcarfx ยท 2011-04-19 16:45

can anyone tell me if the 498nt has a history of head gasket problems or i have a bigger problem?

Replies6
  1. #1xcmark2011-04-20 11:06

    what JCB model are you talking about ? What HP rating is it? How old and how many hours on it?

  2. #2starcarfx2011-04-20 17:09

    3c111 78hp dont know the hrs but its a 1974 model

  3. #3Billie2011-04-21 20:27

    I had a 1975 Leyland 270 tractor with the Leyland 4/98 engine, around 70hp. Rough old tractor but the engine seemed good, lots of power. Yes they are known for head gasket problems. I did a bit of research because I thought I was going to have to do my head gasket. It never overheated, gauge worked, but I think the head gasket must have been on the way out. I had the overflow pipe into a antifreeze jug, and on real hot days, after running it for a couple hours, it would be about half full and I would pour it back into the rad..weird but it worked. It never got worse either which was strange. What type of problem are you having?

  4. #4starcarfx2011-04-22 08:31

    it was blowing water out of the radiator,pulled the head and found gasket burned between #1 and#2,put the valve stem seals in cleaned it all up put it together,going to reset the valves today and fire it up ,couldnt find the torque specs for the head bolts but set them at 125 hope thats good, i can find all the specs on everything but the motor and thats just on some things,hed,flywheel @the real important stuf,but the little tractor has alot heart,preety impressed after runing a lot of cats

  5. #5Billie2011-04-22 09:55

    In my manual it says head bolts (nuts) get torqued to 100 ftlb. Run untill operating temp plus 1/2 hour, then re-torque while warm. Also says to re-torque after 50 hours. You should be alright, I wouldnt want to back them off now anyway. It mentions about a special tool, maybe so you dont have to disasemble anything to re-torque.. PM me your email and I can send you the manual Good luck!

  6. #6starcarfx2011-04-22 11:20

    email is [email protected] thanks i can use any help i can get,what little dab ive done (50hrs) ive been impressed