Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 110

skeeter ยท 2005-09-18 04:50

I am considering purchasing a JD 110 backhoe loader with four in one front bucket and rear aux hyd. I expect to use the hoe about 50% of the time and the three point hitch 50% of the time. How many 110 owners are out there and how satisified are you with your equipment. I am especially interested in how user firendly the tractor is for changing from the hoe to a three point hitch. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Bob Horrell2005-09-19 01:05

    I have had one for about a year and a half now and am very pleased with it. I have just under 2000 hours, with about 60% box scraper and 40% backhoe work. The change over is about 20 minutes for me. I have 4 valves for the box scraper (top,2 tilts, & rippers) that run off the backhoe hose and they all come off as a unit. The backhoe is on and off in just a few minutes, but the 3 point takes up the majority of the time. The unit is trouble free. I added water and anti-freeze to the rear tires (550 lbs per side) and it made huge difference in what I could do with the box scraper. I have a heavy duty 80" Gearmore high back box scraper and can spill dirt over the back going up a moderate grade. I am still amazed at what this little tractor can do. Even with the extra weight in the tires, I can easily spider walk over trenches with the backhoe. It is a powerful little unit that is great as long as you don't need to go deeper than 10 feet. The creep to position system is a real time saver. There are many jobs where I never return to the normal drive position all the time I am digging. I have the 4 in 1 bucket also and the aux. hydraulics on the backhoe. I was going to get the thumb but have managed to do without it so far. I would recommend getting the skid plate. There is a hydraulic manifold with a whole bunch of lines underneath just about centered between the front and rear wheels. Mine is pretty scratched up on the bottom so I am sure I have saved myself from possible damage. Let me know if you have any questions. Bob

  2. #2skeeter2005-09-19 05:27

    Good information; Thanks It is surprising how much work you can do with a small tractor. I have a 4X4 TC33 NH with a bucket I pull a 6' box with for my personal use. I am always suprised @ how much dirt can be moved with it. I noticed you are a charter member; great site. I have been struggling with the decision between a 580 case or 310 deer hoe and s/a dump or the 110 for some time. I am leaning toward the 110 partly because I already own a deisel p/u and trailer that will handle the 110.

  3. #3Bob Horrell2005-09-19 23:09

    In the past year and a half I have had a couple of jobs the 110 couldn't do (had to dig too deep) and I just rented the appropriate equipment. I recently had a job where there just wasn't room for the backhoe so I rented a mini excavator and used my bobcat to move dirt. I am convinced that if you can transport both a skidsteer and a mini excavator to the job site, that that combination will work circles around any backhoe. That being said, I just bought a s/a dump truck and a 25 foot heavy duty trailer so that combination may be in my future somewhere.

  4. #4skeeter2005-09-20 05:46

    I thought my decision was between a S/A dump with a 310/580, or the 110 without the dump. Now you have me thinking about a third option. In my area the mini excavator and a skidsteer would be a great combination for digging and backfill of house foundations, retaining walls and similar jobs, but I expect that will be a small percentage of the avaiable work. The the greater need in my area seams to be for someone who can do the smaller backhoe jobs, driveways / driveway drainage and finial grade. I do plan on doing house foundations, retaining walls less than 4' high and french drains when it is avaiable. As mentioned in previous thread I am looking @ the 110 partly because I am already set up to move it. The other reasons is the multi use ability that will equal less overhead. I do not plan on starting a big excavating or landscaping business, I just plan to keep myself busy two to four days a week and maybe work some day labour as needed. Any eqipment I am not running will be sitting @ my shop, which makes the multi puppose 110 look promising for what I have in mind. I do keep thinking I will need a S/A dump to meet the clients needs and if that is the case I might as well pull a standard loader hoe combination and use the tractor I already own to do the blade and rake work. Decisions, decisions.... I am a fifty something year old construction hand that will be retiring from the company I work for, sometime after the first of the year. I am fotunate enough to be in shape to be simi retired and set myself up right to work as little as two days work a week. I am not in shape to do it twice; I need to get it right the first time. I appreciate the voice of experience from people doing similar work. This site is a great sorce of information.

  5. #5jazak2006-09-20 13:12

    How about starting with the 110 and in a couple years get the single axle dump, skid & mini ex and then you're set.