Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 110 TLB Backhoe Engine Screeching noise

Heavy Chevy ยท 2016-04-06 22:28

I have a JD 110 backhoe and when I started it up last week, you would hear a loud screeching noise from under the hood and the backhoe would barely move until about 15 seconds. Then noise would stop and the backhoe would take off and operate fine; however, everytime afterwards when I start it the noise would appear but go away after a few seconds. Tonight after starting a few times, the noise is now constant. Does anyone know what this problem is....whatever it is, it effects the movement as well.

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2016-04-07 08:28

    I don't know anything about a 110, but it sure sounds like a hydraulic pump to me, the problem could be cold oil, wrong oil, plugged screen, air leak, bad pump or any combination. I'd say you need a service manual unless somebody comes along that knows the 110 or what system it is based on.

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2016-04-07 13:09

    Thanks, I ordered a service manual and hopefully it will arrive today. Hopefully I can diagnose and fix the problem myself. It ran low in oil and I added about 1.3 gallons. Hopefully it is just air and I can resolve quickly....may have to put in the shop for diagnosis.

  3. #3Mobiltech2016-04-07 14:24

    May be way off but I would check belt tension first. Especially the alternator.

  4. #4Delmer2016-04-07 16:29

    Hey, I was trying to think of how they could use a belt drive hydraulic pump on that, alternator makes a lot more sense!

  5. #5br14742016-04-07 21:49

    if belt is tight. listen for noise and feel around and see if there are areas that might feel warm. When there is a restriction heat will build up. Do you have the backhoe attachment on it, if not then make sure the hydraulic loop hose is still connected or it will burn up a pump.

  6. #6NH575E2016-04-08 11:28

    Just an idea but could the screeching noise be a bypassing relief valve? My little 855 makes a heck of a noise when I lift something it can't lift or sometimes at the end of the lift travel.

  7. #7jimg9842016-04-08 12:19

    starter drive not releasing propley another guess