OK, I have this little digger and I have a problem with the plastic overlay on the operators readout. The parts breakdown shown here: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/79837/referrer/navigation/pgId/16048553 in the upper right detail shows a stack of bits that make up the readout. The sub-assembly is illustration #90, PN 4656798. I can't tell for sure which of the bits I need. It looks to be either 90A (Circuit Board) or 90B (Windowpane). What my problem is, I believe, is that the windowpane, which is referred to elsewhere as "glass", may be missing and exposing the thin, fragile plastic sheet with the icons printed on it. That thin sheet has turned brittle and mostly crumbled away. I am assuming that the 90A Circuit Board actually contains the lamps and bar graph fuel level display. I have no functional issues at all, but I can't tell what the lamps indicate any more. My question is basically which piece has those icons, the circuit board or the windowpane? I don't suppose that thin cover with the printing is available separately. If not, I hate to spend the money on either of these parts and not get those icons back. If I could, I'd love to have a nice, hi-res scan of that piece and I'd print it on clear media and somehow affix it where it goes. It would not be protected unless I bought the windowpane anyway, but the local JD house wants a pretty penny or several for it. I don't know if there is a used supply or salvage yard where something like this could be had. Any suggestions?
I'll look at one of our units this morning when I get a chance to see if I can tell. I'll get back to tomorrow.
Well, how is your freehand artwork and painting skills? LOL MG will fix you up......he always fixes everybody up on that Deere stuff
Definitely not that good! I'd be better off with my Dymo label printer. It is a MINI ex, remember lol. My daughter does wonders with PhotoShop, so I may have to drag her into this if it comes down to making one. Thanks mg, I appreciate it. It's going to rub me the wrong way if the windowpane is just a clear glass protective piece that is missing and allowed the sun to bake out the template. That's not my fault. I've been borrowing this little machine for some work around the house so I wouldn't mind spending a little on it before it goes back on the for sale line, but it will irritate me if someone else left off a protective part and that's the cause.
Sorry Tony, I don't have an answer. The 2 we had here were delivered to the customer last week so I can't get eyes on them. If you disassemble the instrument cluster I'm sure you could figure it out. If I had to guess the LCD would be part of 90B and the indicator icons would be part of 90A.
That's what I'm thinking also.
Thanks for looking, mg. It makes more sense to have that thin overlay as part of the board, especially if it is true that the windowpane is slightly tilted so it won't collect water. As mine is sitting, that overlay is directly exposed to the elements. Since this is an open machine, everything should be weatherproof, IMO. This part apparently isn't, or isn't very durable. The rest of this machine is very clean and doesn't look weathered at all. Maybe the windowpane is just a clear piece of glass in a frame. Pretty expensive if so. And missing There is, however, a glass cover that is the topmost layer (now). Under it are the actual lamps and bar graph fuel level display. It is blacked out around the lamps and graph from the bottom. The piece I am looking at merely sits on top of that glass. Could be that the board is sealed (has to be for the LCD portion) to the glass I'm looking at, and the overlay is part of it. Maybe it was glued on, then a protective windowpane sat on top if it. I don't think my dealer has a 17 on the lot. I guess I could hit a couple of rental places and see if I can get a look at one if they have it.
I stopped by a rental outfit today that happened to have a 17G out front and asked if I could take a close look at the instrument panel. They didn't have a problem with it, so I went out to compare theirs to mine. Apparently JD decided the plastic overlay was tough enough in an open cab environment to survive. I have to disagree. My machine is a '14 or '15 and the plastic has crumbled. Ozone and UV I suppose. But now I know that there is nothing missing on mine, and it seems that the upper part, the windowpane, includes the overlay. It is attached with adhesive, in spots. That's about that is left of mine...where the glue spots are. I did get a couple of pictures, but just phone pics, but I'm toying with the idea of taking my good camera up there and trying to get some high res images and giving them the photoshop treatment and printing on a clear mylar or similar. I have successfully replicated an antique radio tuning dial, sliderule style (My other hobby, old radios) by scanning the original, painstakingly restoring the wrinkled and missing silkscreen and printing it. Worked out great and unless you knew, you could not tell it wasn't original. For $175, I might give it a go. I wanted to get a image with the lights on, but the service key I had in my pocket wouldn't work their machine and I didn't want to dig out the rest of my keys. I will do so if I go back for better pics. Here is what I came away with today. .