Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 200C LC not traveling straight

d9gdon ยท 2012-07-26 20:25

This just happened all of a sudden. When you push both travel levers, it steers to the left. You have to push the right lever more than the left to make it travel straight. My first thought was a bad final drive, but it doesn't seem weak. What else should I start with?

Replies39
  1. #1willie592012-07-26 21:04

    Does it do this in both fwd and rev?

  2. #2d9gdon2012-07-26 22:12

    Yes it does it in both forward and reverse.

  3. #3d9gdon2012-07-27 23:30

    Dealer was out today. The pressure control sensor was out on one of the pumps to the final drive.

  4. #4willie592012-07-28 00:00

    Good to hear you got it sorted out.

  5. #5d9gdon2012-08-11 09:06

    That didn't fix it after all. I just got back to the job site yesterday and found that out. The dealer changed the sensor, swapped the coils out on the two pumps to rule it out, took the spool apart and looked at it, and now they're saying the pump for that final is bad? When I was there the first time, the tech said the pump wasn't getting the signal to stroke the pump and that was the reason for changing the sensor. I don't see how the tech went from low voltage to a bad pump? Anybody got a suggestion for me to try while I'm there?

  6. #6ddigger2012-08-11 10:24

    I would look at the rotator manifold, bad seals in there would cause that problem. Relitive easy and cheap fix if no hard parts are worn.

  7. #7Scrapper2012-08-11 10:40

    If the pump was bad wouldn't other functions that use that side of the pump be acting up also? Is there any difference if you select fast or slow for the travel speed? You could try swapping your lines on the center joint to see if the problem goes from one side to the other. That would tell you if the problem is in the final drive motors or not.

  8. #8willie592012-08-11 11:10

    As Scrapper noted, if one of the two pumps were bad, you would notice lack of power/performance of some of the boom/digger functions as the two pumps provide power to the digger as well. If excavator part of machine is working proper, that tech is out of his mind (or lacking one) to suggest your weak drive problem is caused by failed hyd pump.

  9. #9ddigger2012-08-11 12:36

    Center joint=rotator manifold

  10. #10Scrapper2012-08-11 13:37

    Yes they are both the same. You could also have oil by-passing in the center joint (rotator manifold) that could cause one side to travel slower than the other side. Swapping the lines on the top side of the joint (near the swing motor) should tell you if your problem is in the upper part of the excavator in one of the valves or in the lower undercarriage part of the machine either in the final drive or the center joint. If you swap the lines and the problem doesn't move from one side to the other than you problem is either in the drive motor or the center joint. If the problem switches sides than the problem is in the valving somewhere on the machine.

  11. #11Extractorfan2012-08-11 14:52

    We had a similar problem on a JCB 13 tonne excavator, one side tracking slow also the bucket crowd was slow. Swapped the two pump outputs over & the opposite track & dipper slow, turned out to be spool end on the pump swash plate worn, could'nt get parts so had to have new pump. Hope this helps.

  12. #12d9gdon2012-08-11 21:40

    Center joint = rotator manifold = mass confusion. You wanna try that in English please? Me no savvy. I know you're telling me something simple. I don't like excavators and haven't worked on them too much. I went by there today and found out if you travel with both travel sticks forward and the left control stick slightly pulled in (which would be the swing function) that it will work correctly. The other functions all work great: boom, stick, curl, and swing.

  13. #13sultan2012-08-12 00:06

    They're talking about the centre swivel joint located in the middle of the excavator. You'll see a bunch of hoses going into it on the upper half of the machine, and there are hoses coming out of it on the bottom half (undercarriage) of the machine (you won't see them from above as they're under the machine). These hoses are what power the track motors. It's what carries hydraulic oil from the body of the machine to the undercarriage and allows the excavator to spin continuously without hoses getting tangled up. One possible cause of the issue you are facing are leaking seals within this centre swivel/centre joint/rotating manifold/whatever-you-call-it. This can cause hydraulic flow to leak from one track's side the other. A good way to check if this is the cause is to switch the hoses for the two sides of the undercarriage at this centre joint. If the machine continues to turn in the same direction when tracking as before the switch, the problem is in the centre joint. If the machine starts turning in the opposite direction after switching the hoses, that means that the problem is upstream (such as in the pumps or valves).

  14. #14d9gdon2012-08-12 08:54

    Thanks, I see what you're saying now. It sure makes sense how that would cause the problem. I'll have to look at it and get back here with how it went. As always, I appreciate all the help.

  15. #15cutting edge2012-08-12 10:11

    Check track tension on the slow side, ill bet its singing tight. A bypassing rotary would give you low power more than low speed. Have a QUALIFIED tech check cycle times,PVC codes and pump regulator operation and adjustments.Also check the travel motor case drains on both motors. Its least likely a pump gone south.

  16. #16d9gdon2012-08-12 11:05

    No, the track is not too tight on that side and it does feel like it has low power on that side. Even though it's slower track speed than the other side, it seems like it loses power going up a small incline. Like I say, the other functions all seem normal to me and the tech. He did mention the pump regulator might be it, but then decided against it. I can't say for sure if he checked it later or not, but he was out to the site twice after the first visit. He mentioned the wiring harness too since he was getting a low or no voltage reading at the sensor after hooking up to the computer. Don't know where he went from there. That case drain could be something to rule out.

  17. #17mw852012-08-12 19:10

    It sounds like the service tech has no clue. Call the dealer ship and tell them to have a different tech come out. I would check case drain on that travel motor. If case drain was correct, then check the swivel joint. You can take the swivel joint apart and reseal it your self. If the seals are good, then check case drain on the pump. But you said all the other functions are ok. So the pump should be good.

  18. #18ben46a2012-08-12 20:21

    Likely the swivel, I rebuilt two from a 375 cat one time and the only seal left was the one sealing the oil from the outside, the other 4 were completely gone. No idea how it even moved let alone steered.

  19. #19d9gdon2012-08-12 20:24

    Yeah, they're pretty frustrated with the current tech. I'm going by there in the morning to find out more and see what I can do. It doesn't have them locked down, just aggravating.

  20. #20KenAl2012-08-13 17:29

    Does it track off in low and high speeds? if it only tracks off in one but not the other you could have a stuck servo piston in one motor or it can't travel all the way. Fuse check, case drain check, code check. I'm with Cutting Edge on the rotary manifold and pump as far as Deere/Hitachi machines are concerned. Also, is there any extra hydraulic plumbing on the machine?

  21. #21Scrapper2012-08-13 18:41

    What I bolded above is what puzzles me. I bet one side of your pump is not pumping at full volume because of a faulty sensor or the feedback arm from the swash plate to the plate that turns the angle sensor has became unhooked. Anyone else think that is a possibility? On my Hitachi EX400LC-3 I have a priority valve which runs a hydraulic magnet generator off of one side of the pump. The priority valve robs 30 gal/minute and feeds it directly to the generator. When my magnet generator is on and running the machine will not track straight just like his machine, UNLESS I swing at the same time. As long as I'm swinging the machine will track straight but is a bit slower than when the generator is not on.

  22. #22cutting edge2012-08-14 08:57

    NO angle sensors on a 200clc (zx-1)

  23. #23d9gdon2012-08-14 21:18

    Update: Swapping the hoses on the swivel joint didn't do it.

  24. #24cutting edge2012-08-15 08:52

    didn't fix it? First thing then,go and grab the lock bar on the rotary and see if you can turn/wiggle it easily. A good rotary should be fairly hard to move by hand. If it's loose, the seals are likely worn and likely leaking. Second,do you know how to get into the service mode on your monitor? If you do,check the travel motors individually( pin em and hold em over relief) to see if your hitting crossover pressures. You're gonna need to case drain the slow motor as well.

  25. #25Drifter2012-08-15 17:35

    When you are travelling and you use a dig or swing function you shift the flow combiner valve. What this does is let one pump run the dig functions and one run the tracks. A super easy way to trouble shoot with this is run the machne on flat level ground and pull up on the boom does the excavator miss track or does it run straight? If it stll miss tracks you have aproblem with your rotary manifold or a track drive motor or tracks to tight bad rollers etc. If it stops miss tracking you have a problem in your pumps control valve ect. If your mechanic is from a JD Dealer get him to search his DTAC cases on his computer it will show him how to do this.

  26. #26Scrapper2012-08-15 18:00

    Swapping the hoses won't fix it, it will just trouble shoot to where the problem might be. Above or below the swivel joint, or possibly in the swivel joint. When you swapped the hoses did the problem switch sides or does the same track travel slow as before?

  27. #27grandkobelco2012-08-16 06:31

    Has anybody mentioned pilot valves yet? I know the problem is in both directions but that does not rule them out. How about 1000 psi gage teed at the travel spools to verify equal pilot pressure, just my 2cents. wes

  28. #28HAMMETT2012-08-22 19:35

    please call me asasp my 160 clc is doing the exact same thing 870-926-1468 keith hammett

  29. #29Extractorfan2012-08-24 16:33

    Hi d9gdon, has your repair guy checked the pump flows & pressures-start at the beginning or otherwise you could be looking for complex faults that don't exist! If the dealership tech guy is not inspireing you with any confidence, ask round if anyone knows of an independant repair guy who is good. Good luck, Ex tractor fan.

  30. #30mw852012-08-24 21:17

    d9gdon, Is it fixed yet? If so, did you buy a final drive or what?

  31. #31d9gdon2012-08-25 08:08

    This whole thing's been like a saggy diaper, it really chaps me. They won't let us spend any more time or money on it cause it's been really slow. It's just gonna have to wait. I'll post the results when we get back to working on it.

  32. #32d9gdon2014-03-27 16:16

    OK, this thing spun a bearing so I rebuilt the engine. While I was waiting on the machine shop, I resealed the rotary manifold to see if it would fix this problem. It really was easy and cheap, but it didn't fix the problem. I've got other stuff with higher priorities, but I'm still gonna pursue this when I can.

  33. #33Bob/Ont2014-03-27 20:46

    Don, when you slightly pull the LH lever you are stroking up the pump that feeds that control. When me you travel it isn't getting stroked up fully. Check how the signal to stroke the pump up works. Later Bob

  34. #34d9gdon2014-03-27 21:36

    Bob, that gives me an idea. I'll let you know if it works and what I did. Thanks; it doesn't bother them nearly as much as me.

  35. #35Deeretracks2014-03-27 22:32

    You should be able to read the control pressures on the monitor.

  36. #36lantraxco2014-03-27 23:41

    Sounds to me like the pump isn't being stroked correctly by the travel lever, if bringing in another function "fixes" the problem temporarily. Just my opinion.

  37. #37uffex2014-03-28 06:10

    Good day J9gdon As we recall the JD200 is closely related to an Asian make, these machines have a valve in the main control that connects both pump flows together for the crawlers when you operate an implement. This aids trouble shooting since if you dead end the boom raise and then operate the crawlers it proves or disproves that either the pumps or drive motors are at fault. Please see attached Kind regards Uffex

  38. #38Bob/Ont2014-03-28 08:29

    Yes that would be equalized travel, one pump for travel one for implements when moving implement while traveling. That would indicate pump control. I believe some Deere machines have 3 travel speeds, two controlled by motor volume and once by pump output control, if I understand it correctly. Later Bob

  39. #39Deeretracks2014-03-28 12:43

    No, a 200c has 2 speeds controlled by shifting the motors from low to high. The PVC must see low delivery pressure and high control pressure readings on both tracks in order to send the motor shift signal. Usually if a control pressure sensor is bad, the 1st thing you notice is it won't shift into high.