Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 240 engine vibration problem

DDoug ยท 2015-05-27 11:07

I have the afforementioned JD 240 skid loader, 1700 hours on it, bought it about 300 hours ago. The engine, at idle especially, vibrates excessivly. I mean sitting in it you cannot focus your eyes. 1. The electric lead from the alternator broke off. 2. The ears on the radiator (solder joint) failed , I re-soldered. 3. The exhaust had been re-welded before I got it. 4. The rear engine mounts were bad (I replaced them) 5. The (2) hyd. cooler lines failed from abrasion. 6. I checked the valve lash, it was slightly worn, but nothing major worn, but did re-set while in there. 7. Finally, the remote oil drain line failed from abrasion this winter, luckily I was pushing snow into a bank, backed up and saw the oil stain, headed for the barn, when the Oil pressure got to around 10 psi I shut it off. (just missed getting in inside). But removed all that, put in a simple plug on the pan, and primed it with the injector pump solenoid unhooked. Appears I missed a bullet here. 'Bout soiled my pants though.... One older JD tech told me to slightly move the injector pump from the mark (either way) I tried to get a wrench on the bolts, but they are quite cramped in there, and wanted to round as well. Is there a special wrench ? Or is there a known problem ? I don't like full throttle until warmed up, and don't like shutting down without a bit of idleing to cool down. BTW JD phone help was NO help, wanted me to take to dealer only.

Replies4
  1. #1john hofer2015-05-27 21:26

    me thinks, it is not firing on all pistons.check injectors one at a time.

  2. #2Swannny2015-05-28 08:52

    I've had the same problem years ago with same machine....series 2. Friend also has same vibration "problem" since his was new. Went through checking every thing you could imagine with biggest contributor finally located to flywheel out of balance from factory. Took new flywheel from JD to balancing shop and even it was out of spec. Machine was a new animal after that.

  3. #3Swannny2015-05-28 08:57

    check your motor mounts too. Any hard packed dirt around them will not allow them to absorb vibration.

  4. #4durallymax2015-05-30 17:46

    x2 on motor mounts, but if its still the old yanmar 3cyl, those things rattled like crazy at least in the NH built deere machines which was pre 200 series.