Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 290d Hydraulic issue

Ryan D ยท 2014-08-12 07:33

Hi all, first post. I just purchased my first excavator, I've had backhoes for 25 years. It is a 1993 Jonh Deere 290d that was well taken care of. It sat for a while before I bought it. I have put 2 full days in operating it on site and after 4-5 hrs the one track and the swing controls stop, they turn off like a switch was hit. If I turn the machine off the restart it everything works fine again. As the day goes on it starts to happen more often. Any Ideas on what to start to look for?, I was thinking a relief valve stuck? I don't have a manual so I'm not sure what is what. Thanks, Ryan

Replies6
  1. #1overworked2014-08-12 18:54

    Sounds like a pressure switch or internal pump angle, to start try resetting safety switch when it happens, does it auto idle up and down? When normal and when acting up?

  2. #2Ryan D2014-08-12 19:04

    I have tried the saftey switch each time ( doesn't help). The auto idle works and I think it auto idles up and down even when acting up, I'll double check tomorrow. I got **** one of the times it happened and slamed the bucket to the ground and it started to work again.

  3. #3Ryan D2014-08-15 05:56

    It still autos up even when the controls are not working. I just restart or kill the engine and it is all back on line and working fine. Sometimes it goes right out again other times it will be fine for awhile. Does anyone have a manual?

  4. #4dieseldog5.92014-08-17 14:11

    I have book manuals for that machine, and am in NH call me 603-616-five nine six 1

  5. #5garyaxe2015-06-03 10:56

    dieseldog5.9 I am having problems with my 290d on final drive wondering if you can help

  6. #6dieseldog5.92015-06-04 17:20

    Sure, low power?